Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC website

thetrenchrat22

Anybody seen the new CWGC website, which came online today

looks ok on mobilephone but not tried on mainframe 

I am finding searching for casualties takes longer. Might be lack of familiarity rather than anything fundamentally wrong with the new design. 

I just did a search on "new CWGC", and typed in my great uncle surname and it worked for me.

Gerwyn

No there still showing on search from a mobile phone 

Still accessible as normal on Geoffs search engine,  although straight to the new interface with the  required search result/ results

Ray

Looking at the CWGC website for the details of a grave I was standing out this morning, I was able to export the results 

this afternoon, looking at a different grave.  Noticed the difference in the website but unable to export the results via a mobilephone.  

Went to the new CWGC place by the menin gate and that they weren't aware of the new website until they noticed a difference.  

Works ok on a mobilephone apart from exporting the results 

On 08/09/2017 at 05:49, micks said:

Alan 

thanks for that

For some reason they still haven't included the details for 2/Lt Swallow

This 2nd lt Swallow ?

swallow.JPG.df38003687f6733c788fe0b41c361c3f.JPG

Ray

It looks like you can add a photo to a deceased page. 

So when I spoke to the CWGC staff, they were unsure of this facility but sent an email to Maidenhead with my great great uncles photo attached 

Edited by thetrenchrat22

1 hour ago, Gareth Davies said:

I am finding searching for casualties takes longer. Might be lack of familiarity rather than anything fundamentally wrong with the new design. 

I just took a look at the new site. It seems the filters have been reduced making it harder to locate specific unit/battalion details. It is possible to 'sort' alphabetically by Regiment but I did find the option to fiter to one particular unit a great help on the old site (I looked for those who were in same units as relatives before visiting relevant cemeteries). I can still do it but will take longer.

Otherwise it looks good. I am using my main laptop at the moment.

If you can add a photo, would it be possible to add an family inscription to the website only 

just sent an email to enquiry about this

Edited by thetrenchrat22

The placeholder images are meant for headstone photos according to Terry Denham, it's a feature that's been pushed back for now but will be used eventually. I'm guessing this is why they severed ties with TWGPP last year?

Just finished some work on it. A little strange at first but once you have worked out where things are it seemed very good and as someone said "slicker" than the old site.

Not all the GRR's have been uploaded. On the old version there were two for my relative, the working GRR and the Final GRR now there is only one which shows only his uncorrected date of death.

Charlie

8 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

Not all the GRR's have been uploaded.

Given that errors are not infrequent, this is an important omission. I have a similar soldiers record where the draft was correct but the final misspelt his name so doesn't come up in a search. Only by reference to the draft could I be sure it was the correct man.

Any plans to include later?

Edited by charlie962

The way the GRRs and headstone details 'pop out' at a size that is legible, rather than holding a 'magnifying glass' over it or downloading the file, is much better. 

Acknown

Well, just searched for casualties at Heilly Station Cem, and it includes the Germans buried there, so we may have more than before.

cemetery search is a bit different, also same problem with searching as before. you have to spell correctly. if misspelt or has been incorrectly put on the data base it comes up nothing found, wish it would give possible options instead,

one instance, I put in La as written on a web site Ive down loaded from and its Le on cwgc search. 

The biggest new change is the login CWGF Supporter Subscription.... Wonder where this is all leading..... probably more changes under the bonnet planned....

Mark.