Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Horace Winsbury-White

Sandra Reed-Jennings

I am looking for information on Horace Powell Winsbury-White he was a surgeon who served in France 1917/18 in RAMC, London Gazette 16th Nov 1914 temporary Lieutenant, found a record quoting No. 3/2937 and Rank of Capt, Theatre of operation 18/4/1917 until 3/6/1919, his address New Cavendish St London, it also mentions Miss May Brodie who we believe was an ambulance driver in France, he later married her, not sure if she was in the QARNC or if there are records, she was living  in Paris before 1914 and we think that's how she met him.

Hi Sandra,

Welcome to the forum.

Horace appears to have 2 sets of papers which you can download from the NZ archives - search using his full name here

Regards

Chris

Edit: Don't use a hyphen in his surname.

Edited by clk

thank you very much he spent some time in hospital in London where May must have been nursing as she lived in London

I have a different May Brodie here, from Trinidad - Alice May, but she signed herself May. She was a nurse.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Trini-nurse-sees-horrors-of-war-273416581.html

Thank you very much for reply most appreciated, my May Brodie was an only child she came originally from Australia with her mother, they followed the father who had skipped bail in Sydney he fled to England in 1900, she was educated at private schools (probably paid for by fathers ill-gotten gains) we know she was a nurse. Thank you

There are quite a few entires for Horace on Ancestry - Electoral Registers, Medical Directories, Passenger Lists etc.  There is a record of him marrying twice and certainly the electoral registers reflect that.  From the Medical Directories of 1935/40 he looks to have had a special interest in Urology.  He was published a few times in the British Journal of Urology and other leading medical journals, so you might be able to trace something of him that way.

In June 1924 there is a Civil Registration of Marriage in Marylebone between him and Concha M De Courcy-Brodie.  The 1931 Electoral Register names Horace living with Margaret Winsbury-White (nee Concha de Courcy).  Margaret's name is shown as Marguerite in other years of the Electoral Register.  1947 is the last entry I have found of her mentioned with Horace.  Was this May?

I haven't found a May Brodie as a nurse as yet on either Ancestry or the BRC website.  There is  A/Sister C Brodie (QAIMNS R) on Ancestry, looking at the NA I think she is Caroline Brodie (WO 399/947) and Sister C J O Brodie (TFNS ) NA shows her as being Constance Brodie (WO 399/10015) If I have the right nurses.  And there is the Alice May Brodie that seaJane mentions above, she belonged to the American Ambulance Hospital of Paris records say she was British by Birth.  Also Sister N M Brodie (QAIMNS R), Sister W M Brodie (TFNS).  I've also looked under De Courcy on both Ancestry and the NA for nurses and couldn't find anything.  There is a record on Ancestry for a A/Sister M DeGruchy (QAIMNS R) but I can't find her on the NA.  Scottish Women's Hospitals are drawing blanks for all variations of Brodie/De Courcy too.

Ancestry has the following Civil Registration Death Indexes - Horace P Winsbury-White, 6 Nov 1962 and Margaet C De C Winsbury-White, March 1948.

thank you for your information, we know she was born Margaret May Brodie in Australia, she did live in Paris, ( her father was in jail there, he left Sydney Australia while on bail and fled to England) he has been about, when she married Horace her name had changed and she changed her parents names to de Courcy Brodie as well, the parents died as Bartholomew Brodie and Emily Brodie in Henley on Thames, May died of and overdose of camphor. We assumed she was a nurse and that's how she met Horace, the Alice May Brodie is one of three sisters, our May was an only child. We don't know why she changed her name. Thank you for your help will look into the nurses mentioned.

An obituary was published in The Times on Thursday 8 November 1962, and the following day a notice of his death and funeral arrangements. In the latter his widow is named as Elizabeth, and a son John (who was adopted) is also mentioned. The obituary mentions that he married Elizabeth in 1953.

59b4f1b810ee2_Winsbury-WhiteobitTheTimesThurs.8_11_1962.JPG.054a4f6d8d6a7474d5e2b653fd3cd243.JPG

59b4f1d1be461_Winsbury-WhitedeathTheTimesFri.9_11_1962.JPG.d1f83eb89aad122ff9db19a0f89fe953.JPG

In the 1939 Register Horace Winsbury-White was recorded at Colindale Hospital, Hendon, born 28 Sept. 1889, surgeon.

Margaret Winsbury-White was at 51, Harley Street, Marylebone, London, born 4 May 1903, no occupation, also in the household were a secretary, a cook, a parlourmaid, and a footman.

Margaret Winsbury-White died in quarter 1 of 1948 in the Marylebone, London District, her birth year then given as 1901.

Elizabeth Holmes, widow, was living in Bexhill, Surrey, her birth date being 6 September 1896.

The marriage of Horace Winsbury-White to Elizabeth Holmes was announced in The Times on Monday, 20 April 1953.

59b50138392a8_Winsbury-WhitemarriageTheTimesMon_20.4_1953.JPG.f02aedab424d78581da98ca2cf935b5f.JPG

thank you very much for that information, in the late '60's I worked in Upper Regent Street and opposite Langham Place, I could see the church from my office window.

I see he had an accident after surviving the 14-18 war, that's has been most helpful. I have seen a copy of his first marriage to Margaret - for some reason she called herself 'Concha Margeruite de Courcy' and her parents she added 'de Courcy' to their 'Brodie' name, she was born in Australia as Margret May Brodie. I have since found out he was at Ypres when he was injured. Thank you again.

• 10 months later...

Horace Powell Winsbury White was a nephew of my husband's  grandfather William Winsbury White.  

According to my information, HP's first wife, Concha Marguerite de Courcy Brodie,  was born circa 1901 in Tipperary, Ireland

And my notes also show that she died 1948 from an addiction to camphor.
HP's second wife was Elizabeth Holmes, widow of Ellwood Holmes.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your information have been moving house and have taken awhile to get sorted due to the heatwave. We are still trying to establish where she got the name from as she was born in Australia and her parents Emily and Bartholomew Brodie have evidence of this (his father was Stephen Murphy and his grandfather Bartholomew Murphy from Tipperary), he had several alias's.

They came to UK he was on the run from the police in Sydney, he had such a colourful past, he was an art dealer, diamond dealer, con man you name it he's done it.

Thank you once again Nancy much appreciated.

I in fact have moved to Woodcote, about 3  miles  from Whitchurch, it is such a lovely place and area.