Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Field Artillery in Salonika

Hi there

A distant relative of my Dad's served as a driver with 3/2 (Welsh) Brigade RFA and was mentioned in dispatches in Salonika.  

I could use some help in running down the unit war diary.

Firstly, what does 3/2 brigade mean?  I'm quite new at this and sometimes unit designations still elude me.  I note from the Long, Long Trail website that III brigade RFA did serve in salonika.

Help please?

Welcome to the Forum, Windsong,

This can be confusing. What it signifies is the 3rd Line of the 2nd Welsh Brigade RFA. This was a Cardiff and Aberystwyth Brigade and the 3rd Line provided reinforcements to the 1st Line (53rd Division) and 2nd Line (68th Division) from mid 1915. However, not only did 68th Division not go overseas, men were taken from both 2nd and 3rd Lines for direct posting overseas once the Military Service Act (2nd Session) was in force (May 1916 onwards). Therefore, you get men posted to Salonika even though their parent unit never went there. 53rd Division did go to Egypt and Palestine so that might be a factor in this posting.

More information is needed regarding his name, number(s) and dates to further the research. There is no hope of finding the correct War Diary without this.