Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What a Photo* Help i.d regiment / Military number - William Forgie

mike331278

I got this photo from my father inlaw stored away in a treasure box of photos, The top right soilder is his Great grandfather William Forgie Born abt 1879, I suspect Peterhead, Aberdeenshire., His father was called james Forgie, His wife was called - (maiden name) Euphemia Docherty Nisbet,

I have just taken a mobile phone pic of the photo, but at a later stage i can scan it high res and tidy it up in Photoshop.

The photo itself is worth sharing for all to see, shouldn't be locked away in a phox

On looking at the badges I was thinking it was Gordon Highlanders.

I have access to Ancestry and Fold3 but could not locate much to go on without a Military number or confirmation of the Regiment. Thanks in advance for any help

59abf29a00f7a_WilliamForgieB_1879.jpg.a14d9a7f438dcbc9502302c3a52e6ec1.jpg

Mike,

Assuming that William Forgie served abroad with the Gordon Highlanders, the medal index cards show only 2 candidates;-

Private William Forgie, 2029/5, 5th Gordon Highlanders, later 240394, Gordon Highlanders.

Private William Forgie, S/6849, Gordon Highlanders.

Regards,

Alf McM

It is a great picture. Presumably that's lunch.

5 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

It is a great picture. Presumably that's lunch.

Well, the boxed stuff looks to be for 'Officers', so maybe...

1 minute ago, trajan said:

Well, the boxed stuff looks to be for 'Officers', so maybe...

Addressed to the "Supply Officer (ASI?)" rather than for officers per se I think...;)

I stand corrected...

Caption competition: Jock (holding pig's bottom) "One day my son, all this will be you"

Now, now, enough of the banter! Even if enjoyed! 

OK. boss.

On 03/09/2017 at 13:51, alf mcm said:

Mike,

Assuming that William Forgie served abroad with the Gordon Highlanders, the medal index cards show only 2 candidates;-

Private William Forgie, 2029/5, 5th Gordon Highlanders, later 240394, Gordon Highlanders.

Private William Forgie, S/6849, Gordon Highlanders.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thanks Alf, Ive found both MIC, but cant find any other recods anywhere to confirm its the right ones :(

Edited by mike331278

Mike,

You could try Scotlandspeople {or go into New Register House since you live in Edinburgh} and check all 'Forgie' births for the war period, concentrating on Aberdenshire. There won't be many names. Scottish birth records show the mother and father's names, plus if the father was in the Army, his service number will usually be shown. There is a family tree on Ancestry showing that William and Euphemia married in 1912.

Regards,

Alf McM

• 1 year later...

Thanks All, I actually traced his grandson who has all his original records including all his medals.. He was  Private William Forgie 9th Gordon Hdrs. S/6849,

I was also contacted from France asking if the photo could be used in am Exhibition,  its almost ready to be shown in France at the Limoges musée de la Résistance and is running from February to May 2019. WW1 Food on the frontline 🐷🐽🐷

2b5154a2-0f1e-411c-bdcb-082c90b34f33.jpg

expo.jpg

1 hour ago, mike331278 said:

Thanks All, I actually traced his grandson who has all his original records including all his medals.. He was  Private William Forgie 9th Gordon Hdrs. S/6849,

I was also contacted from France asking if the photo could be used in am Exhibition,  its almost ready to be shown in France at the Limoges musée de la Résistance and is running from February to May 2019. WW1 Food on the frontline 🐷🐽🐷

2b5154a2-0f1e-411c-bdcb-082c90b34f33.jpg

expo.jpg

Well done.