Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The College Dieppe : British officer

Simon_Fielding

Couldn't resist this in the junk shop today: seems to be labelled  'the college' Dieppe and the medical staff have signed the photograph: looks like a British officer atthe back and the signature looks like L Bennett. What do you think? 

2017-09-02-18-01-11.jpg.41f40213ae1c5c8de18434ba5047cfcd.jpg

2017-09-02-18-02-10.jpg.8acec7a835d30dd33e6e8d1f8bbe355b.jpg

Looking at Lt LB Burnett RAMC...

...but he's NZ and doesn't seem to have served in Europe. ...

Edited by Simon_Fielding

How nice!!  Is it possible that it is the nurse who is named Bennett, not the older officer behind her-Otherwise, why would it be signed where it is??

Could this be the Hopital de l'Alliance at Dieppe-which,,as the name suggests was initially a voluntary Anglo-French hospital set up in a college there (a Jesuit college?)  

Edited by Guest

Google implies that the College was outside Dieppe - is that right?

45 minutes ago, Simon_Fielding said:

Google implies that the College was outside Dieppe - is that right?

Not at all sure- I only came across a college at Dieppe years ago when researching a local British casualty-who had been to a "Naval College" there- Someone English at a French college stayed in the back of my mind as unusual 

I've been in touch with François Olier who is the authority on WW1 French medical services :

Your picture was taken at the entrance of the "hôpital complémentaire" n°37, annex, located at the "Collège municipal", Quai Henri IV (142 beds).

(F. OLIER, J.L. QUENECHDU, Hôpitaux militaires dans la guerre 1914-1918, Louviers, 2008, tome 1, p. 97)

I enclose a copy of a postcard (circa 1900) where you can see the entrance and the gates ... I have no further information on this hospital or its staff. Sorry to not be able to do more

Some very excellent knowledgeable people out there 

SF

59ad692c0835e_071_001_seine-maritime-ref-a536-dieppe-interieur-du-college-carte-bon-etat1.jpg.31e37180883661b31313b036c3d99ec4.jpg