Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Welsh Guards August/September 1917

Tooold

HI All, 

I am looking for some information about the Welsh Guards and their actions/movements/engagements during August and September. I have the 'History of the Welsh Guards' book that states they were stationed from 6th August (Steenbeek.) 9th Aug they went into the line at Elverdinghe, Langemark and Broenbeek till the 31st Aug. The book states there was heavy shelling and they held the line till relieved on the 4th September and till the 21st worked on fatiques from Camp De Witte. 

None of this makes sense to a non-soldier like me.  How far would these lines and positions be from Canada Farm dressing station?  

I'm looking at a trench map from 1915-1918 that's around Canada Farm and none of the places are mentioned on the map so its a real confusion.

Can anybody help me understand this further.

Thank you.   

NB. Researching:-

John Edwin Roberts

Private 438 

Welsh Guards. Prince of Wales' Coy, 1st Bn

03/09/1917.  

II.H.10 Canada Farm 

Edited by Tooold

Tooold,

Just to say that I posted in the other thread.

Camp De Witte should be De Wippe. A small hamlet on the road Woesten - Poperinge.  It is on the road where Canada Farm is. Just go north(west) from the cemetery. After 1 km there's the crossroads with the road Woesten - Poperinge. And that's where De Wippe is, also some 200 m towards Woesten.

So John Edwards died the same day as "my" Christopher Tennant (who is II.D.1) ...

If you want me to take a photo of the Roberts headstone while I am there, please let me know. But "hurry", for  I am off here shortly after noon (12:30)  :-)

Aurel

P.S. Canada Farm Cem. is 9.5 km west of Cannes Farm - Wijdendrift (Langemark)

Edited by Aurel Sercu
Adding P.S.

Busy day, Aurel!

Bernard

Yes, Bernard. But I like that. What I don't like is that yesterday evening (a bike ride to Cannes Farm) I saw that on the field where probably Christopher Tennant died, the corn (maize) is 7 feet tall. I don't like corn this time of the year, always blocking views...  :-(

Aurel

I rode there on my bike about 8 years ago. I am the first from the family (I married into the Roberts family) to go to the grave as far as I know. 

His nephew wrote a diary and talks about seeing John Edwin coming home, the lice in his uniform and how tired he was plus hearing about his death. The name lives on in Brian Edwin Roberts. 

Thank you for the offer but I do not need a photo.

Have a safe day. 

Edited by Tooold