Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals Forfeited - Lieutenant Colonel Denis DALY

alantwo

Whilst researching one of the Gallipoli officers of 26th Battery, 17th Brigade RFA, Captain Denis DALY, the Medal Index Card refers to 'All decorations and medals forfeited by command of The King, February, 1936, P/3758/7' in bright red ink. Daly had been awarded an MC, DSO, as well as the trio and a medal in 1935 which I can't read on the MIC. He had been Mentioned in Despatches twice and later achieved the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.

Can anyone throw any light on why the medals were forfeited?

My thanks in advance for any contributions.

Regards

Alan

He was court martialled on 22 July 35, when he was commanding 18th Field Brigade, RA, for offences against men in his employ. The insinuation at the court martial was that men had attended his home and incidents had occurred there but incidents had being occurring since being in India in 1926.

Craig

1935.jpg.bc6ef15e7967e4d403b7d8d03b400c21.jpg

He was sentenced to 5 years penal servitude for the offences - fairly clear as to what they were !

He was actually sentenced to 7 years, but 2 years were remitted. The sentence was served in a civil prison

Edited by corisande

Found guilty of 10 of 12 charges. Sentenced to be cashiered and to seven years' penal servitude, two years being remitted with no reason given. His defence counsel claimed that the case had begun "out of blackmail and revenge".

Had been appointed to the Royal Artillery as second lieutenant in 1902, promoted lieutenant in 1905 and captain shortly after the outbreak of the Great War.

Moonraker

Hi,

Having looked at MIC the 1935 Medal mentioned by OP is King George V Silver Jubilee Medal.

Steve Y

My thanks to everyone who took the time to reply, quite a tale and unexpected. I could be wrong but I think Oscar Wilde received a similar sentence. Thanks again. 

Regards

Alan

I would doubt it.

He appears to have abused his position of authority.

It seems, to me, to be  a very different case to say Turing

17 hours ago, corisande said:

1935.jpg

I had a bit of a Freudian moment when I mis-read the name of the Court Martial  President:wub:

• 1 year later...
On 01/09/2017 at 18:23, corisande said:

He was sentenced to 5 years penal servitude for the offences - fairly clear as to what they were !

He was actually sentenced to 7 years, but 2 years were remitted. The sentence was served in a civil prison

Do you know which prison?  When was he released?  When did he die?

13 minutes ago, ChrisGillibrand said:

Do you know which prison?  When was he released?  When did he die?

Welcome to the forum

What is your connection to Col Daly?

On 21/08/2019 at 14:19, corisande said:

Welcome to the forum

What is your connection to Col Daly?

I am doing some writing on the von Donops.  Stanley von Donop was his uncle.

He got 7 years Hard Labour, reduced to 5 years Hard Labour, in a civilian prison

The King confirmed the removal of DSO and MC about 6 months after the court martial

court.jpg.017214cd1d48042f3816e45e6c780a4d.jpgcourt2.jpg.cffe4702bd2505b2f7443cfc2ba5821e.jpg

I suspect that this is him in 1939 Register. - click

DOB is given here as 23 Aug 1883 and Army List had 19 Aug 1883. The register often strays by a few days

In which case he was out of prison by 1939

There is a Surrey death in 1954 that would fit with age and place, but I have no idea if that is him

Corisande,

I concur with your suggestion on the 1939 register.

Denis Daly was recorded in the 1911 census as serving with 72 (Heavy) Battery, R.G.A. in India although it was noted that he was Absent in England" (presumably on leave). His rank was given as Lieutenant, age given as 27, single, and born Hull.

The death in Surrey in 1954 matches the 1939 register address. Probate 1954 - DALY, Denis of Common Mead, Chiddingfold, Surrey died 22 July 1954 at Mount Alverina, Godalming, Surrey. Probate London 16 October to Denis Daly Atkinson, farmer. Effects £51,498 9s. 

Harry

2 hours ago, HarryBrook said:

Denis Daly was recorded in the 1911 census as serving with 72 (Heavy) Battery, R.G.A. in India although it was noted that he was Absent in England" (presumably on leave). His rank was given as Lieutenant, age given as 27, single, and born Hull.

Ah, yes - the Indian Army. Spike Milligan said that the Goons' character, Major Denis Bloodnock, was based on a certain type of British army officer who was transferred to the Indian army for indiscretions involving - how can I put it? -sexual behaviour deemed to be non-standard. Spike did give chapter and verse which I cannot repeat here due to the family nature of the GWF. I wonder if this Denis had form?

I cannot see why Daly was stripped of his medals. If he was a good soldier, then he deserved them for that.

2 minutes ago, Hedley Malloch said:

I cannot see why Daly was stripped of his medals. If he was a good soldier, then he deserved them for that.

It is not just what he did, but that he was in a position of authority as the men's CO

It was obviously discussed over a long time by the establishment, as they took nearly 6 months to confirm the loss of medals

By the late 1930s fewer men were losing their medals as a result of  convictions, but it must have been decided in Daly's case that his abuse of power could not go unpunished

Punish him by all means, but don’t remove his medals.

George V believed that "even were a VC to be sentenced to be hanged for murder, he should be allowed to wear the VC on the scaffold".

However, it appears that his wishes were not acted upon.