Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone identify this uniform?

David_Bluestein

Can anyone identify this uniform?

The photograph reads on reverse: "Lawrence Bramleigh Wagner in Sheffield England 1907".

Lawrence Wagner would go on to serve as a Sjt. in the 2nd Battalion Royal Marine Light Infantry in the Great War. He was awarded the Military Medal for gallantry in leading his men in an attack on the Somme, when all officers had been killed, November 13, 1916. He was killed at the Gavrelle Wind Mill, April 28, 1917 and commemorated on the Arras memorial. Age 23.

post-1-1053569980.jpg

Also of interest: Remarkable photograph of Sjt. Lawrence B. Wagner MM (seated on far left) posing with other NCO's of "B" Coy 2nd Bn. RMLI days before his death, photo taken early-mid April 1917.

post-1-1053570076.jpg

David

He is a member of the Boys' Brigade, a Christian youth organisation founded in Scotland in 1883 by William Smith.

Terry Reeves

David,

As Terry said, he was a member of the Boys Brigade.

The 16th (Service) Battalion (2nd Glasgow), Highland Light infantry, had many recruits from the Glasgow Boys Brigade.

Ronnie.

As it is a photo taken in Sheffield the 25 is likely to refer to the 25th.Sheffield Company, Boy's Brigade. There were at one time 59 companies in Sheffield each attached to a local church.

I think that the 25th. no longer exists however if you would like further background contact: phil@george-sheffield.freeserve.co.uk

Thank you all for your very prompt and helpful analysis! I have had others look at this photo in the past with no luck, so of course this is a very exciting breakthrough in my research. I will most definitely take advantage of the e-mail contact for further suggestions.

Best wishes

David

PS: I am still always amazed at the wide range of knowledge of this forum!