Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ruyaulcourt Dressing Station

SebStJohn

Hello.

I'm interested in learning more about the location and history of the Ruyaulcourt Dressing Station operated by the 149 Field ambulance in March 1918. I would appreciate any pictures and approximate guidance of location especially.

Thank you,

Sebastian

I would suggest looking at the divisional ADMS war diary because attached to many of them are operational orders and they very often give you the grid references for the maps at the time. I have 149 being part of 63 (RN) Division and the ADMS war diary in the National Archives is WO95/3100.

Diary available on Ancestry - piece number 3106/2.  Search for it with keywords 95/3100 Ruyaulcourt.

The war diary doesn't tell you much.  On 21 March the Corps Main Dressing Station moved from Ruyaulcourt to Bus following heavy shelling with a few personnel left at Ruyaulcourt to deal with wounded (these rejoined the main body the following day, having cleared all the wounded to a CCS). On 22 March they moved again - to Beaulencourt with some staying at Bus, again to clear the wounded.  On 24 March, the CMDS became a Regimental Aid Post and, clearing all wounded, retired to Bazentin-le-Grand.  On 24th ordered to proceed to Fricourt and later that day to Millencourt (arriving 2am on the 25th).  On 25th moved to Bouzincourt and late that evening to Lealvillers where it remained until 2 April.

The diary doesn't actually specify the exact locations.  Perhaps an FA/CCS expert may be able to tell more.

The ADMS diary shows that 149FA moved from LECHELLE to RUYAULCOURT 3rd Jan 1918. They took over from 53FA, 17th Div. (possibly other diaries to check for details?).

The ADMS 63rd Naval Division diary has appendicies for Jan, Feb & March  1918 that show the CMDS ran by 149FA was at P.10.central.

As they ran the V Corps main dressing station I can check the DDMS diary later and possibly the relevant DMS diary.

TEW

Edited by TEW
correction

I had a look at V Corps DDMS and 3rd Army DMS diary and thy only give P.10.central for the location.

I then back tracked to look at 17 ADMS and 53 FA diaries who manned the CMDS before 149 FA took it over.

The diary for 53 FA has the entry below for 22/12/1917. WO95/1996/3

53.jpg.2e330735c71956a3e60d83a964e7f269.jpg

Interesting that they give a ref of P.10.c.4.4. for the V CMDS rather than P.10.central. Nice list of what buildings/strcutures comprised the CMDS. They make no mention of moving to P.10.central before they handed over to 149 FA in early Jan 1918.

The above is not an easy diary to find on ancestry as it comes under 17th Division, Divisional Troops, page 636 of 718.

TEW