Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Surrey Rgt 120 original ww1 negatives

morrisc8

Trying to find out where the camp is in Kent. Dover area ?

In some of the photos you can see houses in the background, and on one of the house has Leneys and below on the next sign the word Garage ?.

On some photos you can see this building on the top of the hill/ridge OP post?

Keith

59ba3851016da_ww1photonumber33addonhouseLeneysandGarage.jpg.b0f0ff58f93517f7a259e4e650d33a8a.jpg

59ba38650b6e7_ww1oppoint.jpg.8696e89f7a7c2560e5c5f0380469316e.jpg

Boy Scout on the left looks like he's wearing a Military Cross ribbon :lol:

Keith,

Leneys was a local brewery, so the building is probably a pub. This would also help to explain why

everyone looks so happy!

The structure on the skyline reminds me of a coastguard lookout post, on top of the cliffs, or less likely

a ventilation shaft for a railway tunnel.The background reminds me of the area just inland of the coast

between Dover and Folkestone near Samphire Hoe now covered by the A20 trunk road.

My guess is it may be Church Hougham now home to a BBC transmitter.

Will see if I can find locations of Leneys Pubs

Regards

Geoff

• 1 month later...
On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 20:43, morrisc8 said:

Thank you Nigel for looking i think that date fits in with the photos very well.

Just have to find the tented camp they were at, might be on or near St Martins Plain, Shorncliffe camp?or the Dover area?

on the last photo on the top right there is what looks like a OP on the hill.

keith

ww1 photo number 118.jpg

This image I believe is the field off Folkestone Road in Dover near the former Hare and Hounds pub where camps were regularly held, below the Western Heights fortifications

The building to his right the Battery Command Post which is near invisible these days as it is so overgrown !

citadel.JPG

Fascinating - congratulations for identifying the location!

John

On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 18:29, charlie962 said:

Good egg! Is the grey rendered building on the left the one that used to carry the Leneys ad ?

Charlie

Yes I believe so - the former Hare and Hounds pub

Would be great to see more of the images sometime as they are of interest as I am involved in the Western Heights Preservation Society who look after parts of the fortifications above

Paul

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:12, morrisc8 said:

Would these houses be in the same area? photos are from the same unit / lot.

Keith

East Surrey Regiment ww1 photo number 132.jpg

This one certainly is the same place as the stepped roof is very distinct, and 'Plum Pudding Hill' behind sloping away (now very overgrown).  I'll ponder over the other two...

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:12, morrisc8 said:

hare.JPG.18c6b7b00dab919820319029e1ba907c.JPG

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Now we know the area of the camp, anyone know the name of the camp.

Photos taken from Folkestone Road in Dover near the former Hare and Hounds pub where camps were regularly held, below the Western Heights fortifications.

ww1 photo number 131.jpg

ww1 photo number 117.jpg

ww1 photo number 116.jpg

It seems likely that it could have been called Maxton Camp, as that was the name of the village to which it was adjacent.  There is an interesting history of the Hare and Hounds pub (tied to Shepherd Neame), which sadly closed in 2008, here:  http://www.dover-kent.com/Hare-and-Hounds.html.

There seems to have been a permanent ‘Citadel Barracks’ (later a HM Prison (Borstal)) situated on the heights above.  The following link confirms that there was a camp at Maxton: http://www.dover-castle-friends.org/files/Images/Fortress-Dover/Fortress-Dover-and-the-First-World-War-PP-edited.pdf

Also, see ink stamp on enclosed post card.  The camp is also mentioned in the experiences of a conscientious objector, here: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=XWdtBQAAQBAJ&pg=PA79&lpg=PA79&dq=WW1+Maxton+Camp,+Dover&source=bl&ots=vKFUuVdeHG&sig=ACfU3U1YmxENVRw6zhDnANrotKgOsnhMWw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiwv8e67NDlAhWJThUIHZRTCYoQ6AEwAXoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=WW1 Maxton Camp%2C Dover&f=false

From ‘Dover Historian’ online:  ”The Ministry of War took over much of Farthingloe valley and Round Down Cliff during World War I (1914-1918) and erected defensive military structures such as pillboxes. An aerodrome was built at Capel and in 1916, the Admiralty laid a 6-inch stoneware drain from the Aerodrome to the Corporation’s main drainage system at Manor Road, Maxton. It was laid along the main Folkestone Road as far as Little Farthingloe farm where it crossed the fields of Great Farthingloe farm to Manor Road. The farms, at that time, were short of labour due to the men going to the Front but in 1916, the Women’s Land Army was formed and the women eased the problem. During and following the War concrete-slab sound mirrors were built along the cliffs including one at the adjacent Abbot’s Cliff, which can still be seen. 

Following the War, Farthingloe was returned to the Church Commissioners.”

ED0ED2FC-D798-4D60-A0AD-47257A9968E6.jpeg

5FC0516E-FCC4-4B06-9DBE-0C65EA68A63D.jpeg

5326BB8E-0A2E-4E15-9B1E-654E4BE59EFA.jpeg

15DA8254-3130-4099-AEBC-D14CC53518B8.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Made this book to save the photos in as they will fade away as they are on glass . 2nd part of the book are photos taken by a RAMC doctor in 1918 taken from the original glass negatives.  The photos Look better in full screen.

https://www.bonusprint.co.uk/view-online-photo-book/3cf607cc-4afe-4fe2-82c9-9ecac6f0f4d5?utm_campaign=CRM_SML_EML_T34404&utm_medium=E-mail&utm_source=Service-Mail&crm_segment=All&utm_content=&id=18497545

Keith

Edited by morrisc8