Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16th Lancashire Fusiliers - Flanders 25 July 1917

dunmore44

This is my first post for a while, but would be grateful for some assistance please.

I have just discovered that my Great Uncle Henry Howes, served with the 16th Btn Lancashire Fusiliers from 06 Jan 1917, he received a GSW to his Right Leg on the 25 July 1917.  Grateful for a diary search please for this Btn to establish what they were doing on this day and the days leading up to the 25th.  He was then sent home to recover before being transferred to the ASC on home commitment for the duration of the war.

Thank you in advance

Hi

you can download the war diary from National Archives HERE for a fee

It  is on Ancestry which is free until end of today but then you would need paid access, reference to being at Kuhn Camp, although I am not sure of that location

Reference: WO 95/2397/4
Description:

16 Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers

Date: 1915 Nov - 1919 Oct

Kuhn Camp

Ref: The Seventeenth Highland Light Infantry (Glasgow Chamber of Commerce ... -

kuhn.png

Diary for 25th...........

Kuhn Camp

D Coy work party shelled whilst burying cable (?) at night. Casualties: Killed 2, Wndd 15

Edited by jonbem

For Coxyde look up Koksijde on the modern map

Edited by jonbem

I reckon you would need maps 11SE2 or 4 but finding them???

11SE2or4.png

• Admin

I have Kuhn Camp being at Map Reference 11.x.9.a.9.7.

You can plot this reference in the relevant square on this map, which just happens to show a number of other camps in the general area in the rear areas of the Nieuport Sector:

Regards

Russ

1st Division General HQ 6.jpg

• Admin
11 hours ago, dunmore44 said:

I have just discovered that my Great Uncle Henry Howes, served with the 16th Btn Lancashire Fusiliers from 06 Jan 1917, he received a GSW to his Right Leg on the 25 July 1917.  Grateful for a diary search please for this Btn to establish what they were doing on this day and the days leading up to the 25th.  He was then sent home to recover before being transferred to the ASC on home commitment for the duration of the war.

Do you have his LF and ASC service numbers? I am in the middle of looking at the casualties in the LF during July 1917 for this Sector.

Russ

2 minutes ago, RussT said:

Do you have his LF and ASC service numbers?

A guess at this chap

First Name: H C
Surname: Howes
Index Number of Admission: 14117
Service Number: 31459
Years Service: 1 year 1 month
Months With Field Force: 7 months
Ailment: Gunshot wound IX right leg. Gunshot wound of the lower extremities.
Date Discharged Back to Duty: 09/01/1918
Notes written in the Observations Column: Returned to duty. "III". 06/08/1917. Princess Club Hospital. Hospital Ship Essequibo.
Religion: Church of England
Regiment: Lancashire Fusiliers
Battalion: 16th (Service) Battalion (2nd Salford) (Why is this important?)
Other unit info: D Company

• Admin

He appears in the 28th August 1917 War Office Weekly Casualty List for the Day's casualties reported on the 23rd August 1917.

He also has service records, but I can't access them at the moment.

31459 Howes.JPG

MIC is HERE

Name: Henry C Howes
Regiment or Corps: Army Veterinary Corps, Lancashire Fusiliers, Army Service Corps
Regimental Number: 17528, 31459, T/391497

Jonbem & Russ T.  Great work a big thank you.  I managed to find his service records last night, I then tried to locate the 16th's war diary but couldn't find it indexed.  Didn't realise it was located with the 15th's.

It appears he was drafted in the AVC on 20 June 1916 aged 35

Within a month he was in France, only to served 3 weeks before returning home, where he was transferred into the RFA and then the Lancashire Fusiliers, guessing he would of then done some form of training.  He joined the 16th in France in January 1917.  Strange a London man would be drafted to a pals battalion?  I guess this would be due to the Pals Battalions being decimated during the battle of the Somme, and were getting reinforced my anyone?

• Admin

Here is the relevant part of his service record:

It shows he was wounded in action on the 25th July 1917.

He was transported to the 91st Field Ambulance on the same day 25th July 1917. The 91st FA manned the XV Corps Main Dressing Station at Groote Kwinte Farm

On the same day 25th July 1917, he was admitted to the 1st Canadian Casualty Clearing Station, which was at Oosthoek

On this same day 25th July 1917 he was evacuated on No 2 Ambulance Train to Le Treport. The train left Oosthoek at 16:15 and arrived the next day on 26th July 1917 at Le Treport at 04:00 (see AT Timetable below).

He was admitted to No 2 Canadian General Hospital on the 26th July 1917.

A good example of being wounded one day and in hospital the next - although I'm sure the lengthy train journey would have been a tad uncomfortable !

31459 Howes - 16LF wounded 25th July - later T-391497 FMP as 31450.jpg

GWF 1.jpg

Edited by RussT

Wow, thank you, I was struggling to read it.

• Admin
54 minutes ago, dunmore44 said:

Strange a London man would be drafted to a pals battalion?  I guess this would be due to the Pals Battalions being decimated during the battle of the Somme, and were getting reinforced my anyone?

Not really that strange by this time. Drafts to these service battalions were taking in men from various former units (with men originating from all over the country) and the "Pals" nature of them had by then largely been lost.

If you have a look at that small sample on the Casualty List in Post #10 above, the residences are quite varied.

Regards

Russ 

• Admin

Here is the relevant War Diary entry for the No 2 Canadian General Hospital for July 26th 1917.

From the AT timetable above, and as mentioned, the train War Diary states it arrived at Le Treport (station) at 04:00 hrs. This tallies well with the No 2 C GH diary stating that a convoy arrived at 04:15 hrs (at the hospital).

The Other Rank totals on that No 2 AT comprised 255 lying & 256 sitting cases of which 107 were sick and 404 were wounded. Given the nature of his wounding, I would conclude he was one of the lying cases on this train. From this total of 511 cases, the No 2 C GH took in 215 walking and 119 stretcher cases. I would conclude he would have been one of those 119 stretcher cases admitted to that hospital. The remaining cases from this train would have been admitted to other hospitals in the Le Treport base area.

During this time on this front in July 1917, most casualties were mustard gas cases, as noted in the hospital diary.

Regards

Russ

July 1917 -5.jpg

• spof changed the title to 16th Lancashire Fusiliers - Flanders 25 July 1917