Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zero Hour Z Day - Jonathan Porter

John_Hartley

You might have thought that 1 July 1916 had been done to death – nothing more to say, nothing more to learn. Think again.

Jonathan Porter brings a detailed analysis to the subject of XIII Corps operations on the day, between Maricourt and Mametz. It is a weighty tome. Quite literally. At nearly 500 pages, it comes in at just under 3kg. Now that’s a lot of reading – but he accepts that folk are not going to read every page. Not even the war anoraks, like we users of the GWF. It is a book to dip in and out of, as a source of reference. But what of this detailed analysis? What does it actually offer the reader?

Well, I bought the book having a particular interest in 17th Manchesters. I’ve written a history of the unit and had it published. I thought I knew all there was to know. Now, in truth, if you research any unit in detail you will get most, if not all, of the story. But what I realised about my own book (and, indeed, other battalion histories I’ve read) is that the concentration on telling the particular story means you become blinkered. You tend not to research the part the artillery played in an attack such as 1 July. Or the role of intelligence gathering, down to the operations of the Kite Balloon Sections. You don’t see the context in which your unit is spending its time. For example, you don’t know the significance of the raid undertaken by the battalion your unit just relieved. And, for me, that was the most interesting part of Jonathan’s book – the first 300 pages that deal with the planning and the preliminary operations (raids, artillery barrage, etc) before the whistles blew that morning. And, when you get to the chapters dealing with the actual attack, context is still there – turn the pages to see what actions were being undertaken by the units on either side of your particular interest, or those that attacked before or after yours. He writes well and brings a military mind to his interpretation of the events – Jonathan served as a Royal Marine for twenty years. He also knows the ground intimately – and it shows – he owns Chavasse Farm at Hardecourt.

The other thing that particularly struck me about the book was the profusion of images. As you might expect, lots of “head and shoulders” shots of the deceased. But, also loads of general photographs. Many from the author’s own collection but, also, many from the IWM collection – so many of the latter that I can only conclude that if the IWM were charging Jonathan what they proposed to charge me for my last book, then he has very deep pockets.

But the stars of the images are those where Jonathan has used trench maps or RFC aerial photos and  then added his own annotation to record, say, artillery battery positions. But, for me, the really fascinating images are those where he has plotted, say, the advance of a battalion on his own drone aerial photographs. As I type this, I have the book open in front of me, at page 322. There’s an aerial photo of modern day Montauban, stretching away towards High Wood and Longueval, where he has marked the deployment of 17th Manchesters’ companies around the village. Now that’s ground that I know well – I’ve walked it, photographed it, written about it, given talks about it. I’ve felt the hairs on the back of neck tingle, at the Pals Memorial in the village, knowing that two relatives were here that day. But you could never see the full picture. This is simply stunning imagery using the new technology of drones.

Jonathan tells me that he’s already working on a second volume about XV Corps’ actions between Mametz and Fricourt. No doubt you can keep track of progress on his website – www.zerohourzday.com. In the meantime, if you’ve an interest in this sector, take the plunge and buy the book. You’re worth it.

An excellent book review John and one that is going to cost me cash money, curses. I will have to buy the book after that; especially as I have an interest in the 17th's neighbours. I think that the midwinter festival that cannot be named will be a good option.

Pete.

Despite it not being a massive area of interest to me, I bought the book and have no hesitation in saying it's superb.

Agree 100% with the above comments and looking forward to the next volume as it covers the 2nd Borders. 

Well done John. You hit various nails on the head. Jonathan's strategic knowledge of the ground and preparations has been the most gripping for me. The context of the warren is helpful.

You & I must still count our blessings that 2 men found their way out of Montauban. I'm so proud when I see pics and quotes of a quiet modest old man I remember in print.

You and Jon have both done a great job. GWF readers should have a look at John's book too as a complement to the wider story.