Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

List of OCs for Ambulance Trains

gpashe

Is there a list of OCs for the different amubulance trains that operated in France? My grandfather (Temp Captain RAMC) was OC of such a train but other than France and mid 1916 to end 1917 I have very little info. He went sick on 29th December 1917 at Audriucq (depot near St Omer/Calais) and was admitted to 35 GH in Calais, and then evacuated. Even if I could determine which ATs were routed through Audriucq.

Welcome to the Forum !

From what I've seen the ATs didn't have a fixed route for patient delivery, more of a "turn up here and deliver to there" approach, dependant upon pressures. You can access the War Diaries of many ATs on the Discovery database at the National Archives, and there is a specific one for the Assistant Director Ambulance Trains where you might just get some detail on what went where during the period you target.

WO95/4129/2,link below, covers the period 1.11.1916 to 30.9.1917,/4129/1 covers 1915 to Oct 1916, and /4129/3 from 1.10.1917 to 31 Dec 1918:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/ab31e8e937964554920ccb4a962556d6

Each is downloadable for £3.50.

Edited by sotonmate

2 hours ago, gpashe said:

Is there a list of OCs for the different amubulance trains that operated in France? My grandfather (Temp Captain RAMC) was OC of such a train but other than France and mid 1916 to end 1917 I have very little info. He went sick on 29th December 1917 at Audriucq (depot near St Omer/Calais) and was admitted to 35 GH in Calais, and then evacuated. Even if I could determine which ATs were routed through Audriucq.

Who was he ? Does his service record survive and, if so, have you checked it ?

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

My grandfather was Captain Patrick Ashe, he was a temporary Captain. He joined the theatre of war in France in early July 1915. I have no details of what division he was with. His medal card does not seem to reveal this. There is an extensive Ministry of Pensions file which I have obtained and garnered some details and am trying to fill in the gaps. I am at a dead-end )-: 

I am at Kew next week and will see if I can find any info in the Asst. Director ATs War Diary WO95/4129/1 for 1915-1916.

That is most appreciated. According to the info I have the AT he was in charge of was not a very sound one, with a tendency to break down, skip points. It spent 79 days off the rails in 1917 in the workshop. It transferred 79,000 casualties in 1917 and on the 29th December 1917 my grandfather eventually broke and "went sick".