Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Middle East war graves

john w.

Can you be more specific? Which countries are you after photos from?

It depends on which bit of the Middle East - Turkey, Israel, Gaza the chances are good, Iraq,Iran, Syria - best of luck! 

Post your specific needs and you might get lucky - there, for instance, is a thread for Basra Memorial photos.

Taken from my list... the list didn't appear will resubmit

Edited by john w.

Jerusalem war cemetery

Baghdad North Gate war cemetery

Iraq Basra memorial

Iraq Basra War Cemetery

Iraq Amara War Cemetery

Port Said War Memorial

Israel Ramleh war Memorial

Jerusalem and Ramleh are pretty easy to pick up. Jerusalem (British) War Cemetery is available on Billion Graves here. Ramleh is here

Basra Memorial contact Bob Pike

Ive just had some photos from Port Said from a member of staff at the CWGC, so quite easy to get

Basra War Cemetery and Amara War Cemetery, currently impossible

Baghdad North Gate Cemetery has within the last year had new headstones erected, and photos are available through the CWGC if you ask politely.

6 hours ago, Phil Wood said:

That story is about Basra, Phil, with mention of the impending funfair being built at Amara.

So, currently impossible or not?

Edited by temptage

Sorry Tony - here is the Amara article.  The funfair is, apparently, on the Amara (Left Bank) Indian War Cemetery.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/664275/British-war-graves-veterans-families-complain-memories-being-forgotten

This 2016 article says the cross of sacrifice is a heap or rubble - another article from 2003 has a picture of the cross still standing.  Things are not improving.

I guess it is not impossible for someone to go there with a camera, but will they find a specific stone still standing? 

I am being kept up to speed regarding ongoing works in Iraq by someone at the CWGC. Kut War Cemetery has been restored to its former glory, and Baghdad North Gate is not far from finished. There is another couple of Cemeteries they are working on too, but their names have slipped my feeble mind for now.

Edit: I have just found my email. The other two Cemeteries which have only just started to be worked on are Alwiya and Basra, but dont expect miracles as it took them nearly 4 years to get Kut and Baghdad restored.

Edited by temptage

• 8 months later...

I was in Bartlow Church, Cambridgeshire, yesterday, and this officer's page was open on the Roll of Honour.

Am I right in thinking that there is a contact in Baghdad who is able to confirm the survival of, and/or photograph, headstones at the North Gate cemetery?

I would like to return the favour of the lady who kindly left the church temporarily unlocked for a late-in-the-day visitor.

IMG_20180506_211200.jpg

The person who I had as a contact out there has changed jobs and no longer works for the CWGC. I havent given up just yet as I have quite a number of locals who are buried in and around Iraq.

Thanks for the update temptage.

I contacted the CWGC on Twitter last night and 3 individuals have replied to me.

Baghdad is still off limits, but they do have local contractors who are keeping the Cemeteries clean and tidy. There are over 1000 new headstones cut and in storage, at Baghdad North Gate, waiting for when the local security conditions calm down enough to be able to crack on with the work replacing the headstones.

Three senior members of the CWGC are going out to Iraq, the first time since 2009, to see how things are developing. Plans are in development for a complete overhaul of the Cemetery at Habbaniya, fairly soon. They will be undertaking a survey of the sites in and around Basra.

That's good news - thank you, temptage!

15 hours ago, temptage said:

I contacted the CWGC on Twitter last night and 3 individuals have replied to me.

Baghdad is still off limits, but they do have local contractors who are keeping the Cemeteries clean and tidy. There are over 1000 new headstones cut and in storage, at Baghdad North Gate, waiting for when the local security conditions calm down enough to be able to crack on with the work replacing the headstones.

Three senior members of the CWGC are going out to Iraq, the first time since 2009, to see how things are developing. Plans are in development for a complete overhaul of the Cemetery at Habbaniya, fairly soon. They will be undertaking a survey of the sites in and around Basra.

BNG does get visited by the Embassy, I got a few photos there last November, but it took a quite a bit of effort and the trip was delayed many times.  

Is it worth my contacting the Embassy then Gareth, or better to wait on developments?

There's no harm in trying Jane.  They are most likely to be next visiting at a significant anniversary which may mean not until November.  I attach a few edited photos that show a little of the condition of the cemetery.  The grave at which the Ambassador is laying a cross is in Plot 21.  As you can see there is some damage but on the whole things aren't too bad.  The cross is however more of a stick.  

Baghdad North Gate 4 - RTR crop.jpg

Baghdad North Gate crop.png

Thank you :)

• 1 year later...
On 25/08/2017 at 16:10, john w. said:

Jerusalem war cemetery

Baghdad North Gate war cemetery

Iraq Basra memorial

Iraq Basra War Cemetery

Iraq Amara War Cemetery

Port Said War Memorial

Israel Ramleh war Memorial

Hi John,

Did you manage to get the pictures you were after from Jerusalem and Ramleh War Cemeteries?

The reason I ask, is because I go to Israel quite often and would take pictures for you.

Edited by zachariah1962

2 hours ago, zachariah1962 said:

Hi John,

Did you manage to get the pictures you were after from Jerusalem and Ramleh War Cemeteries?

The reason I ask, is because I go to Israel quite often and would take pictures for you.

Might I be very cheeky to ask if you might be kind enough to take a photo for me in Ramleh Cemetery during a visit if I give you details.

Regards

It is worth a PM to me as I have nearly all of Basra Memorial and  quite a few of Jerusalam, Ramleh, Hadra, Beersheba, Deir-el Belah, Gaza and Haifa, but I stress it is by no means comprehensive

Bob

PM sent Bob.

Regards

Peter