Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

15th Battalion Hampshire Regiment

Keith McGaw

A bit short notice but I would be very interested in info relating to actions involving the 15th  Hampshire's (and Isle of Wight's) around  September 1917 please. My personal interest concerns 19609 Private Francis George Crews who died on 20th September 1917. Thanks Keith McGaw

Battle of the Menin Road Ridge.  Covered in many books including the Regimental History.

Keith

122nd Brigade including the 15th  were ordered to advance at 5:40am on the 20th and were initially held up by block houses on a feature known as Java Avenue, where they suffered heavy casualties.  However they overcame the resistance and were eventually able to push over the 'Red Line' through the swampy area of the Basseville Brooke and on to the Blue Line moving in the general direction of their objective, a position know as Tower Hamlets, a formidable feature of concrete dugouts and pill boxes.  Eventually they were able to take the Green Line their final objective Tower Trench, which I believe they held.

Edited by T8HANTS
correction

• 1 year later...

Also killed on 20th September was my great uncle, David Millbank, 235018 Pte 15th Hampshire.

Just 19 years old

Commemorated on Compton Pauncefoot church lych gate