Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WORLD RUGBY MEMORIAL TO BE UNVEILED

bobpike

The World Rugby Memorial Craonnelle, Chemin des Dames, Aisne,

The project is being jointly organised with the Conseil General L’Aisne and the monument is being designed by the former French Captain, Jean Pierre Rives, with majority funding from the FFR. It will be unveiled on land owned by the Conseil General L’Aisne in the heart of the battlefields of the Chemin des Dames in 15th September 2017

Why am I unable to find any official information on this important event?

I am one of the organisers of this event and look after the International part of the project. 

I have been interviewed on radio and the press consistently for over 2 years since the launch particularly in the UK.   Notices have gone out via the RFU and World Rugby Museum in England.  All Counties were invited to encourage their clubs and schools to take part directly by me. Further appeals have gone out at County and National level by the RFU. There are active facebook and twitter accounts. 

In addition the WRU gave us space in the Wal/Arg and Wal/Ire match day programmes last season.

In the Aisne a Commemorative Book for 2017 was issued with all events included, and the Conseil Dept with whom I work alongside have issued bulletins online and in the press in France.

Through my contacts around the world in the game of rugby major appeals were made, and are currently ongoing  in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, USA, South Africa for the WW1 Rugby Players Book of Remembrance.  

I have even received information for the Ww1 Rugby Players Book of Remembrance from China and Japan, as well as from the European Rugby playing countries, and the countries listed above.

In January 2019 we will begin the process again for the 75th Anniversary of WW2.

I think this answers your question

Thank you, I  applaud the work you have done and I hope to attend the unveiling, I was surprised however that I could find no timetable of events, exact location, timing etc on the RFU site; the CWGC and even here on the forum.

We are not responsible for content on other websites, or information services.

However by searching World Rugby Memorial into a search engine would have taken you straight to us.

Any questions or requests for details mail to "RugbyMemorial@gmail.com

Highlights

Sept 14 15h00 Opening Ceremony, Hotel de Ville, Laon, Aisne, France

Sept 15 09h45 Remembrance Service at Cerny en Laonnais

12h45  Remembrance Service at Devonshire Monument, La Ville aux Bois les Pontavert,

18h00  Stade Levindrey, Laon   Gendarmerie Nationale v Royal Artillery

20h00  French Legends v Rugby 4 Heroes

Sept 16  10h00  Unveiling Ceremony of WW1 Rugby Memorial, Craonnelle, Aisne, France

14h00  Youth Rugby Festival

18h00  French Pacific Army v UK Army

Sept 17  11h00 - 17h00 Youth Rugby Festival

All Rugby at Stade Levindrey

John Abbott King (known as Jack) killed in action 9th August 1916. Played 12 times for England between 1911 and 1913 and certainly one of the finest forwards ever to play for England. Played for Ilkley RFC and Headingley as well the Barbarians and clubs in South Africa. His biography is on 'Ilkley remembers' Facebook page. 

##Please Note## he was born in Burley in Leeds and not Burley in Wharfedale,a mistake common to just about every biography that I have ever read about Jack King

IR

ilkley remembers jack king 2.PNG

Edited by ilkley remembers

• 1 year later...