Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What does Special Appointment Class GG mean

I have been requested to do some research for the Golding Family and with time I found that a Territorial RSM in Devon was posted to Persia in 1916.  Some entries I have found in 1918 both on hos record and the London gazette have him as Spec. Appt. Cl GG and the appt. of Comdt (Cl GG).  I am still puzzled as to what a special appointment Class GG was for and why he would have been a Commandant.  I am sure that there is a fountain of knowledge out there and someone could answer it as the Internet makes many references to this Class but not what it actually means.

Edited by Guest
Spelling

A commandant was in charge of a facility - often a training location etc.

C.I. is possibly an abbreviation for Chief Instructor.

Who is the man ?

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Afternoon Craig

In 1911 George Thomas Golding was an RSM Instructor Territorial Forces in Tavistock Devon.  Without confirmation I believe this to be the 3rd battery Devonshire HQ and Gun Room.  The next time I cam e across him was in Mesopotamia as a Captain but the entry is the PDF entry in the London Gazette which has what I thought to be Class (Cl) and not Chief Instructor (CI), Class GG I believed to be pay banding.  My thoughts are that he was still in Persia at this time.

Shaun

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920 George Thomas Golding.jpg

Lt_G_T_ Golding 19 April 1921.pdf

Class GG does indeed indicate a pay banding for the various "miscellaneous" staff appointments which sprang up during the war. The pay was £300 a year if quarters were allotted in addition, £350 if not, and the classification for allowances was 13.

Source: Royal Warrant dated 5th July 1918, and Army Order 223 of 1918.

Ron