Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
TGM

Army Veterinary Corps

TGM

Hello All,

I note we have a page on the AVC and there are various posts from members looking for information on specific individuals connected with the RAVC.

Is there anyone on the Forum with pointers/suggestions on finding out more about No. 2 Reserve Vet. Hosp. (Longmoor) beyond newspaper archives, and war diaries?

Thank you

Edited by TGM

TGM

Just to add I am trying to get a sense of what could have driven a soldier to suicide on leave from  No. 2 Reserve Vet. Hosp. (Longmoor)...

jay dubaya

Had the soldier in question served overseas?

TGM

Good point, though I assumed not as he joined on 16 June 1917 and committed suicide on 27 June 1917!

alf mcm

I think you need to find out as much as you can about the soldier, in order to understand his background. This information may give you possible clues. Here are some suggestions:-

For military information you could check the following;

Service records {if they exist}

Since he joined the army after January 1916 he may have been conscripted.

If conscripted, did he appeal against his conscription.

Register of Soldiers Effects

Soldier’s Will

For family information check;-

Was he engaged to be married {Register of Soldiers Effects or Soldiers Will may tell you}

If engaged, did his fiancée break off the engagement or marry someone else?

1911 Census, to check his occupation and age

Were his parents or siblings alive, or was he on his own?

Had one of his siblings been killed in the war?

Check his death certificate. His death may just have been accidental even if recorded as accidental.

Check for newspaper reports of his death.

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm
Edited after reading previous post

TGM

Thank you, Alf McM.

I found Ancestry and FindMyPast records and newspaper coverage of the inquest prior to posting. The soldier was formerly a gardener and only indicated he was worried about his work. I'm really interested in  insights into the work of the AVC, but suspect this will remain a mystery...

Edited by TGM

TGM

Thanks again, Alf.

petestarling

The Museum of Military Medicine has a manuscript volume 'Corps Orders' for the AVC. If my memory serves me right it starts at 1904 and finishes in 1916. Sadly there is not another volume that continues after 1916. It is basically a manuscript copy of the AVC orders so contains details of transfers into the Corps from other regiments (especially cavalry) and also enlistments and promotions. I found my grandfather in it from his enlistment and  promotions to Sgt. Sadly this will not help you TGM but it may help[ others viewing this post.

Was there not a board of enquiry for his suicide. I have found that with one or two I looked at. Try TNA.

Pete

TGM

Petestarling, thank you for sharing, and for the tip.

Edited by TGM

TGM

In addition to the above books:

The Army Veterinary Corps : its work and its needs, and how it is helped by the R.S.P.C.A / Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to AnimalsR.S.P.C.A. Fund for Sick and Wounded HorsesGalsworthy, John, 1867-1933 (1915  (Internet Archive))

Just borrowed these from my local university library.

A history of the Royal Army Veterinary Corps, 1796-1919 / by Sir Frederick Smith / Smith, Frederick,  London : published for the "Royal Army Veterinary Corps Officer's Fund" by Ballière, Tindall and Cox, 1927

Army veterinary service in war / by Major-General Sir John Moore [Director of VS India & D VS BEF, France, 1924-1919] ; with a note by General Sir Charles Carmichael Monro [C-i-C, India]  London : Brown, 1921. (also Internet Archive)

Will add to as I find...

Edited by TGM
typos

petestarling

History of the Great War, Veterinary Services by Maj Gen LJ Blenkinsop & Lt Col JW Rainey. HMSO 1925

TGM

Thank you, Major.