Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Length of service prewar

Perth Digger

Would a man who enlisted in the RFA in December 1901 have signed on for 12 years? If so, at the end of that period would he still have to spend time in the Reserve, as the regulations of 1908 prescribed (when the time was 6 years + 6 years in the Reserve)?

I have a man who enlisted in 1901 and was discharged on 10 January 1914. I wondered if he would have been called back to the colours in August 1914?

Thanks

Mike

Hi,

I'm sure members might be able to comment more fully with a name?

If he had completed his full 12 year commitment (no matter what the breakdown to 7 & 5 or 6 & 6) in Jan 1914 IMHO he would not be liable to recall as a reservist in August 1914 as he would be "time expired".

However if he had re enlisted in Army Reserve Section D on his discharge he would have been subject to a recall.

Steve Y

Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply. There is no reference in his Pension Record that I can see that he went into the Reserve. I just wasn't sure whether that just happened automatically, without it being stated on his record. His name was 2039 William Bernard Collins.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

i haven't got Ancestry/FMP access but I'm sure a member will have a look at the record and give an informed answer to your query.

Steve Y

Let us asume that a soldier opted to convert "colour service plus reserve service to "all colour service".

Even in peace, If overseas in the 12th year, a soldier was liable [possibly, not certainly] to serve an extra year "for King George". This was contingent on the Trooping programme and the soldiers dates of arrival/ service.

In war, a soldier was always liable for an extra year right up to the moment he passed out of the barrack gates. This was logical, otherwise a lot of the most highly trained and experienced men would depart only to be conscripted a few months later.