Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

thejungleisneutral

British and Empire Tents and Shelters of the Great War

Chasemuseum

With reference to various girl guide and scout group bell tents. A collector in Canberra acquired several a few years back and has supplied them to re-enactors. The key feature is that these were relatively small, about a 2,1m radius. and looked very much like the ones in post 14. Very similar in impression to the military tent but much smaller. Unfortunately not military surplus.

Cheers

RT

PS he has sold all of them.

morrisc8

East Surrey Rgt 30th (Reserve) Battalion TR of the 7th Reserve Brigade.

I have just bought over 120 original ww1 negatives on this one camp [ tents ]. Taken in Kent july 1917.

Keith

ww1 Sgt Major.jpg

ww1 tent L Cpl tea.jpg

ww1 tent paper.jpg

ww1 officer.jpg

ww1 81 to 90 paper.jpg

ww1 cammo tent.jpg

Edited by morrisc8

Sepoy

Problems of tent usage during the Great War :)

Sepoy

IMG_0004.jpg

Edited by Sepoy

morrisc8

a few more from the East Surrey Rgt 30th (Reserve) Battalion TR of the 7th Reserve Brigade 1917.

Keith59b7abe237134_EastSurreyRegimentww1photonumber100SgtMajor.jpg.58122064ba73a30da6f2ebe97e9ec043.jpg

East Surrey Regiment ww1 photo number 82.jpg

ww1 photo number 134.jpg

Maureene

A cross reference to another topic "British Army Tents"

Richard Dennie

Hi, during the Great War, what did American troops generally sleep on. In particular, I talking about the embarkment camp set up in Norfolk, Virginia in February 1918 from where American servicemen were shipped to fight in WW1 in France.

For example, was it on the floor? On what? Or were some kind of bed frame provided? Any idea what the tents were like? How many soldiers did they house? And what shape were they? 

I've found this one very small photograph, which I attach.

Any help gratefully received.

Screenshot 2019-02-24 at 13.44.58.png

Edited by Richard Dennie
Add photo

Simon Morris

Sorry to bother you guys, but I have a question to ask you and maybe somebody can send me a few photo's or here. with the Bell tents used during the 1899 to 1902 Boer War, the British used two different shaped small metal pegs to keep the ground sheet or ground sails pinned to the ground, one is a u shaped in design and the other has one leg but a sort of hoot at the top, I am busy having an argument with some fellow metal detecting people here in South Africa about these small little pegs, can anybody share some info about them, I have been searching google for a while but I cannot find info on these small pegs that pin the ground sheet to the ground, thanks, my email address is qf@lcom.co.za  

Muerrisch

Fascinating thread. I was a Wolf Cub, Scout, Senior Scout, Queen's Scout, Scoutmaster in the period 1946 to 1970 or so, and well remember Bell tents. However, I also recall "Icelandics" which were seriously big and heavy ridge tents ... if memory serves we could sleep 6 on one side and have luxury space on the other side. There was a central vertical pole so the ridge was supported at both ends and in the middle.

Does that ring any "bells?"

NigelS
On 08/06/2019 at 23:12, Muerrisch said:

Does that ring any "bells?"

Certainly does. Getting the  groundsheet out from under the central pole for inspections, airing, etc was a real pain, But they've clearly stood the test of time, yours today for a mere £570: 

Blacks of Greenock Icelandic II Tent (when in stock!).

NigelS

32ndcmr

Does anyone have any photos or diagrams of how the bell tents were set up inside? More specifically for other ranks of nco's? 

I'm looking to recreate one as a display for living history events. I'm assuming bedding would have been very simple as you would struggle to get 12 to 15 stretchers in there.  Was personal equipment (webbing, kit bag etc) stored at the head or the foot? Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Cymro

What a cracking thread, and what a superb set of photographs - well done on that!

Chasemuseum

An example of an officers private purchase individual field tent / swag. This would have been suitable to carry when riding a horse, strapped to the back of the saddle.

Major James Pascoe Caddy MC, Initially 1 Div AIF 5th engineering field company, latter 5 Div AIF 15th eng field coy. Served in Egypt, the Gallipoli campaign and from mid-1916 on the Western Front.  

IMG_3275.JPG.ebc223a5bd01cb6be427dd85dbba5e49.JPGIMG_3274.JPG.8da1e6785b5ca4606aaa831c7a0b0480.JPG

Waterproof heavy canvas base to the swag, to be placed against the ground

IMG_3276.JPG.1ce266c00453e41a174a6147c0fab6d0.JPG

There are tapes along the side to allow the side to be opened for easy entry and exit, the fly is arranged to drain clear of the short height walls

IMG_3278.JPG.e68e85ebc5b90f7a68b4617c674b6444.JPG

Original pillow and pillowcases. The pillowcases have bone buttons to secure them over the pillow. THe brick red blanket is sewn into the swag.

IMG_3277.JPG.049d0a00f13b97e18cc05453b0e0affa.JPG

The only manufacturer markings on the tent swag. Suspect that it was probably purchased in Cairo when he was stationed there either before or after the Gallipoli campaign.

Edited by Chasemuseum
spelling

Maureene

Although the following online book was written before the Great War period, some of the illustrations look as though tents didn't change much.

Chapter VII "Tents and Encampments" page 164  Wrinkles; or, Hints to sportsmen and travellers on dress, equipment, and camp life  by The Old Shekarry 

[Henry Astbury Leveson]. a New Edition 1874. Archive.org

https://archive.org/details/wrinklesorhintst00halhiala/page/164

Cheers

Maureen