Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Horace William Day 24542 2nd Battalion Grenadier Guards

HeidiS

Hello. I've been lurking on here for a while but have just joined to ask for your advice and expertise.

I am researching my 3x removed first cousin Horace William Day - 24542 - 2nd Battalion Grenadier Guards and I hope that some kind soul can help me.

Horace enlisted in Wokingham, Berkshire in the middle of November 1915. This would have been to join the Royal Berkshire Regiment but I'm assuming as he was 5ft 10ins that the Guards would have wanted him. My first question is how did this process happen? If a man was over a certain height would he have automatically been sent to a Guards regiment?

I have copies of the 2nd Battalion war diaries and 'The Grenadier Guards in the Great War 1914 - 1918' by Lieut.-Colonel The Right Honourable Sir F Ponsonby so I can trace the 2nd Battalion quite well but is there any way I can find out what company Horace was in?

Finally, I have attached a picture of his service record (he did definitely die on the 31st July 1917 at the Battle of Pilckem Ridge not on 31.9.17 as there isn't a 31 in September!) and I am curious about the long stint at 'home' from 8.10.16 to 8.6.17. He did fight with the Guards at Flers-Courcelette but then returned home. I was wondering whether he had been injured but I can find no record of this on his service record or anywhere else and it has been suggested that he may have returned to do 'home service'. Could this have been a possibility?

I apologise for my ignorance in this but I am desperate to learn more about the Grenadier Guards in WW1 and the journey Horace took.

If anyone can provide any insight in to my questions I would be deeply grateful. Thank you in advance.

001.JPG

Day-H-W-Grenadier-Guards-6-Queens-Terrace-Rose-Street-Wokingham-KIA-201x300.jpg

Finally, I have attached a picture of his service record (he did definitely die on the 31st July 1917 at the Battle of Pilckem Ridge not on 31.9.17 as there isn't a 31 in September!) and I am curious about the long stint at 'home' from 8.10.16 to 8.6.17. He did fight with the Guards at Flers-Courcelette but then returned home. I was wondering whether he had been injured but I can find no record of this on his service record or anywhere else and it has been suggested that he may have returned to do 'home service'. Could this have been a possibility?

The soldiers effects records confirm 31 July 17.

The war gratuity (net £7 10s) shows that he had 21 qualifying months service at the time of his death which ties in with the known service.

Craig

Thank you Craig.

You do work for the IFCP too I see? I only started with them earlier this year.

Heidi

Hi HeidiS,

Welcome to the forum.

31 minutes ago, HeidiS said:

I am curious about the long stint at 'home' from 8.10.16 to 8.6.17

Forces War Records appear to have a transcription of a medical admission/discharge register for Horace. He was admitted to 34 Casualty Clearing Station with a wounded left leg on 25th September 1916, and transferred to 11 Ambulance Train the following day. I guess that took him to one of the port hospitals*, and a few days later he was evacuated back to the UK for further treatment and recuperation. It says that at that time he was in '2nd Company', 2nd Battalion Grenadier Guards, Guards Division.

Regards

Chris

Edit: *The diary for 11 AT would probably show the destination

Edited by clk

Oh Chris, thank you so much!

I was on Forces War Records but couldn't find this. Could you tell me where on the website I can locate it?

You are an absolute star.

Heidi

Hi Chris,

I can't access the link but I will re-open my account with FWR. It was a few years ago but hopefully they'll remember me!

Thank you again, I am very grateful

Heidi