Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Jutland Crew Lists Project

penfold

A small team of volunteers are endeavouring to recreate the Battle of Jutland crew lists.

There is now a project website at:

www.jutlandcrewlists.org

Edited by penfold
providing link in correct format

You realise that you share a name with the Staff Surgeon aboard BARHAM? :)

Find my past already have a search facility for Jutland servicemen.

Arabis: You are correct but it is limited in its scope. It does not include sailors that were in the service before 1899. There are also some errors.  If there are two ratings on a service record page [usually with SS numbers] there is the possibility that the wrong one is included, or they are both included even if the rating was not on the ship being reviewed.

It certainly is a good starting block, but not complete.

5 minutes ago, penfold said:

Arabis: You are correct but it is limited in its scope. It does not include sailors that were in the service before 1899. There are also some errors.  If there are two ratings on a service record page [usually with SS numbers] there is the possibility that the wrong one is included, or they are both included even if the rating was not on the ship being reviewed.

It certainly is a good starting block, but not complete.

Ok penfold, thanks for your explanation. I have eleven Jutland names that I have checked, so I will send their details to your website later today.

Regards,

ARABIS.  

• 1 year later...

Hi, I just came across your post and thought you might like details of my Grandfather 226878 Arthur Thomas Harding. He was a Jutland veteran on HMS Thunderer.  Here's a picture of him (wearing his GS medal with Persian Gulf bar) along with my Grandmother.  I have his medals, Princess Mary 'tin', his original service record and various other photos, all which I'm happy to share. 

Lucy

1647698806_GrannyGrandadHarding.jpg.0807344924b9613d5a052d8af60c5e82.jpg1456083310_Thundererxmaspostcard.jpg.5b9dc11713b877a7b06e77038e59201e.jpg

Thank you. Here is the HMS Thunderer Crew List at the Battle of Jutland. 

www.jutlandcrewlists.org/thunderer

best regards,

Trevor

• 11 months later...

Chief Gunners Mate Robert March, Chief Gunners Mate of HMS Thunderer, on right.

He is wearing the Naval Good Shooting(with 2nd award clasp) & Long Service medals.  Pre war image, circa 1913.

CGM March joined HMS Thunderer on 15 June ’12, served on her throughout 1WW, leaving her on 3 March 1919.

I do not know the identity of the CPO seated on his right.

Thanks, Bryan

March photo 1 (2).JPG

CPO March's medal group.  he won the Naval Good Shooting medal twice, first time on HMS Queen in 1911, & 2nd on HMS Thunderer 1913.  HMS Queen was a 12" gun, HMS Thunderer was a  13.5" gun, the largest calibre the NGS medal was awarded for.

March group.jpg

Edited by RNCVR

I have his medals, Princess Mary 'tin', his original service record and various other photos, all which I'm happy to share. 

Lucy

Very nice image Lucy, in this photo he has been advanced to Leading Seaman.

Love it if you might share more of Harding's photos!

Thanks, Bryan

7 hours ago, RNCVR said:

A relation? There seems to be a resemblance.

On 15/08/2017 at 18:05, penfold said:

A small team of volunteers are endeavouring to recreate the Battle of Jutland crew lists.

There is now a project website at:

www.jutlandcrewlists.org

Sincere thanks to all concerned. Pleased to see William Walter WIBDY J/33212 Queen Mary included. His surname is always awkward so I have sent an email.

17 hours ago, RNCVR said:

Chief Gunners Mate Robert March, Chief Gunners Mate of HMS Thunderer, on right.

He is wearing the Naval Good Shooting(with 2nd award clasp) & Long Service medals.  Pre war image, circa 1913.

CGM March joined HMS Thunderer on 15 June ’12, served on her throughout 1WW, leaving her on 3 March 1919.

Thanks, Bryan

March photo 1 (2).JPG

CPO March's medal group.  he won the Naval Good Shooting medal twice, first time on HMS Queen in 1911, & 2nd on HMS Thunderer 1913.  HMS Queen was a 12" gun, HMS Thunderer was a  13.5" gun, the largest calibre the NGS medal was awarded for. 

March group.jpg

Re: my bold.

Is it recorded why this was so? 

Was it because they entered service after these shooting tests/competitions had ceased? IIRC they stopped in 1912 but would accept corrections. 

Edited by TeeCeeCee

10 hours ago, seaJane said:

A relation? There seems to be a resemblance.

No idea but could be Jane. Probably never know!

Was it because they entered service after these shooting tests/competitions had ceased? IIRC they stopped in 1912 but would accept corrections.

The last awards of the NGS medal occurred for the 1914 prize Shooting year, the highest calibre gun of that time was the 13.5" BL.

Had the medal continued into wartime there would have been awards made for the 15" BL gun, carried, for example, on HMS Queen Elizabeth.

Thanks, Bryan

2 hours ago, RNCVR said:

The last awards of the NGS medal occurred for the 1914 prize Shooting year, the highest calibre gun of that time was the 13.5" BL.

Had the medal continued into wartime there would have been awards made for the 15" BL gun, carried, for example, on HMS Queen Elizabeth.

Thanks, Bryan

Cheers Bryan.

Edit: my original reply asked why no tests on the 15" & 18". They are the 'they' that entered service, if you follow. 

Edited by TeeCeeCee

No, dont think I follow your meaning.

The 15" B.L. came into service with the Queen Elizabeth class of super dreadnoughts, but the Naval Shooting medal was suspended before ratings could qualify on this gun. Queen Elizabeth was commissioned Dec 1914, her class was fitted with the 15" gun, the Good Shooting medal was discontinued by this time. Prize shooting was suspended for the duration of the war. The last prize shooting was held just before declaration of war.

Thanks, Bryan

Edited by RNCVR