Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Bedfordshire Regiment

Hello All

My 1st post here but I hope you can help.  My Grandfather was in the above unit in ww1 at we managed to find part of his ww1 record that was not destroyed in ww2. It was part of the 37th division and he was at passchendaele and fought in  The Battle of the Menin Road Ridge, The Battle of Polygon Wood, The Battle of Broodseinde, The Battle of Poelcapelle, The First Battle of Passchendaele.Im trying to find any trench maps or maps of any kind to show where they where?  I'm going on a trip there later in the year and any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Maybe best to get copies of the war diaries for those battles first then fit the maps to the diaries, the war diaries are available from the National Archive and Ancestry.  Some diaries contain maps, both battalion and brigade diaries.

John 

The 6th Battalion war diaries are transcribed here - http://www.bedfordregiment.org.uk/6thbn/6thbattalion.html - and I also have the brigade diaries if needed. From memory the division (or their brigade at least) were only lightly engaged so casualties etc were mercifully low? May be wrong. I will have trench maps with their locations on at home so drop me an email from here or the site and I'll see what I can do.

thank you both for your help.  I have found he was wounded and had a number of toes blown off and amputated due to shell fire, but there is no mention of where and just he was sent back to England in November 1917.