Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RSM C. H. Firth

claymore123

I am looking for any assistance on the above person. I have his GV LS&GC medal which is named "RSM C. H. Firth - Attd AFI".

I have checked his MIC, see attached, which shows him in various regiments including the Dorset Regiment and Cameron Highlanders and as being attached to the 3rd E.I.R. Regt and his Indian MIC which shows him as borne supernumerary to the 1st Cameron Highlanders. I can find no more on FMP or Ancestry and I was wondering if anyone can add any additional details to him particulalry his full name? I have found a RSM C.H.Firth commissioned as a Lt & QM in the LG 9.7.41 and wonder if it is the same man?

Additionally his MIC mentions a claim for the Delhi Durbar medal and I wonder if he was entitled?

Thanks

Iain

Firth.pdf

"The 1911 Census shows Charles in India as a Private in the 2nd Cameron Highlanders. It says he was aged 23, and born in Barkston, Yorkshire."

Barkston was in Tadcaster Registration District and in the March Quarter of 1888 a Charles Henry B. Firth was born there.

Ken

A family history on Ancestry has him born 15 December 1887 to James Bottomley Firth and Elizabeth (Flint) Firth.

Edited by kenmorrison

Iain,

As someone born pre 1900 but continuing to serve post-war, predicted discharge 1930, I would have expected to find him on the MoD retained Service files listing (Index on Ancestry, Discharges 1920-39) but no sign.

If he was Indian Army (AFI) postwar then maybe his file went there and like all those men the records are lost?

Charlie

Well done Chris. What does this say about Ancestry indexing .........?

59943e0e7bb39_FirthCHAncestryIndex.JPG.264d7d36e4803686cb4b833d92bf19f1.JPG

To answer my own question, here it is, but search criteria changed to Surname and date of birth. (Mental note for future searches!!)

59943f21203a3_FirthCHAncestryIndex2.JPG.6d418d6c2c25b347a8ffc53f39125643.JPG

They've put the second initial of these men as part of the first name! But I don't know how to tell Ancestry!

Edited by charlie962

Thanks to everyone for your support. I must admit I was trying to follow only direct links to "C.H.Firth" but it does look like he appears as C, C.H. and C.H.B. and I found his probate record which shows him as Charles Henry Bottomley but known as Charles Henry. Charlie962 many thanks for highlighting a part of Ancestry I had not considered before which does seem to tie up with later service in WW2.

Just need to tie down the Delhi Durbar reference now?

Thanks

Iain