Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

TRACING STEVENSON E9 OR E18 WWI

Fontes

Greetings, fellow-researchers!  I was very interested to read that members had come across the name of Percival James STEVENSON as a member of crew for either E9 or E18.  I have been looking for him for some time!  I have a birth certificate for  17 November 1917 of a Violet Mary STEVENSON (my late Aunt) showing Percival John as her father. The birth was registered on 29 December 1917 (long after the ship had disappeared ) and recording him as "Stoker HM Submarine E18" . The mother (my grandmother) is shown as "Kate Adelaide Stevenson formerly Mills".  I was particularly interested that someone had spotted a record of Percival James being "thrown in the cells" and would love to be able to track down the source of that little gem!  All parties are now long dead. Although she is shown as "STEVENSON", I can find no trace of grandmother's marriage to Percival J. anywhere.  I think she just liked sailors and the more horizontal, the better.  Ironically, while her first legit husband was away fighting for King and Country, she was comforted by the local policeman (probably couldn't find a sailor handy)  and my father was the product. He went on to be a charismatic and respected CSM with the RNSM - a service life which straightened out the unearned and undeserved kinks in his early life.  Any information would be most welcome, please. Fontes

The service record of K1628 Stoker Percival James Stevenson R.N., is available for £3.50p online from the National Archives Discovery if you don't have access to a subscription site.

He was born 19/5/1890 in Colchester, Essex & was previously a mill labourer.

The submarines he served in were D1, E18, E19, & J7.

He did 90 days in the cells from 19/11/15 to 18/2/16.

Sadly he drowned on duty on 15th October 1918 while with J7.

I recommend you get his service record for more details of ships etc.

Arabis  Thank you very much for your prompt reply. That will take me into some useful hole-filling in our family tree. The investment of such a small sum from NAD sounds well worthwhile and I shall follow that up shortly.  Again, thank you very much for your interest and information.  Fontes