Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Search for Sligo War Dead 1914 - 1918

Hicmull

I am currently trying to research men from Sligo Ireland who fought and died in the Great War. I am seeking information on Gunner William Richard Cowan, 10448, 4th Royal Garrison Artillery who died in France 29/03/1917. CWGC mention he was survived by his father William Cowan, 20 Bank St., Troon , Ayrshire. he was 40 years old.  Other sources say he was from Calry, Sligo Ireland but as yet I have found nothing. He is not in the 1901 or 1911 Census of Ireland.

If anyone has any information/data/photos etc. I would be extremely grateful.

Many thanks

@museumtom may be able to help.

Soldiers Died in the Great War states he was born in Calry and enlisted in Omagh - the place of residence, Mount Shannon, is often that of a relative.

Craig

Yes indeed Craig that what I have also. "26 County Casualties of The Great War" also include Sligo.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

Many thanks for your prompt replies. I am looking into your suggestions now. Really appreciate it.

Thanks for that link Craig.

The National Archives of Ireland 'Soldiers Wills'' website doesn't have his will available. As he wasn't married he probably left everything to his father in Ayrshire. I am trying to just find out his link with Sligo. There is an area 'Shannon' in Calry, Sligo so that is a great start - thank you for that.

I have 580 plus men to research so I really can't afford to pay for individual information on each one. It's a passion at the moment...taken up 3 years so far!

Hopefully I will put in book format for the future generation - someday!

Welcome to the Forum

Glad that you have joined

Dave

The National Archives of Ireland 'Soldiers Wills'' website doesn't have his will available. As he wasn't married he probably left everything to his father in Ayrshire. I am trying to just find out his link with Sligo. There is an area 'Shannon' in Calry, Sligo so that is a great start - thank you for that.

I have 580 plus men to research so I really can't afford to pay for individual information on each one. It's a passion at the moment...taken up 3 years so far!

Hi Dave,

Have never used a forum before so I hope I'm doing it right! Trying to navigate around posts/replies. Spent all morning trying to find something on the bracken brothers and a Bracken cousin...not much luck so moved on to Cowan. Thanks to Craig found him in the census in Tyrone as 'Cowen'. Still trying to link him to Shannon in Calry. Thanks for linking me to the site!!

Simone ps. thanks for all the info to date.

44 minutes ago, Hicmull said:

It wasn't lodged with the Irish probate registry by the war office as he wasn't ordinarily resident there when he died - the war office would forward a copy of the will to the probate registry in the country where he had been resident.

The effects records show his father as 'sole legatee' so everything that was left in the army will was left to his father.

Research sharp gets expensive if you have more than one man to look at.

Craig

post deleted because link did not work

Edited by johnboy

I would be grateful if anyone would have any additional information regarding brothers John & Patrick Connolly, Faughts, Calry, Co. Sligo.

Pte John Connolly, 20212, 20yrs,19th Lancashire Fusiliers, died 04/10/1917, buried in West Vlaanderens, Oxford Road Cemetery, single, Roman Catholic, Farmer's son.

Gunner Patrick Connolly, 60900, 29yrs, Royal Field Artillery, died 19/03/1920, buried Ardcath Graveyard, Co. Meath, Ireland, single, Roman Catholic, Farmer's son.

Many thanks

I really think you might consider consulting the 15 volumes of "26 County Casualties of the Great War," by Tom Burnell.

I suspect that the task you have set yourself has already been completed by Tom, and the answers you seek are somewhere within Tom's epic work.

Many thanks for that. I am wondering how to access the volumes without purchasing them. I am only interested in County Sligo and as the volumes are alphabetical I would need access to all 15. Is there a site where I can pay a fee for limited access to the volumes? 

Sorry, Lass, they are not on a pay site. Perhaps a visit to the local studies of your library is worth a visit?. I am sure the Royal British Legion that covers your area should have a set.

Edited by museumtom

26 minutes ago, Hicmull said:

Many thanks for that. I am wondering how to access the volumes without purchasing them. I am only interested in County Sligo and as the volumes are alphabetical I would need access to all 15. Is there a site where I can pay a fee for limited access to the volumes? 

Hi Hicmull

Tipperary library and South Dublin library had complete sets when I checked a couple of months ago. Sligo Library should be able to check the catalogue for copies nearer to you. Maybe more have been acquired since

Dave

You could also have a look in James McGuinn's book which should be in your local library.

Sligo.JPG

Many thanks for your replies. Have the James McGuinn book and will check out the reference library.