Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identifying Brodie Helmet badge/insignia please!

davebleedsblue

Hey everyone - I'm new here so forgive me if I make any mistakes in posting. I acquired this 1918 Brodie today and although I've discovered some info about it, I'd like more!  I'm specifically stuck on the insignia/logo/badge. I know it's lost its color significantly, but does anyone have any ideas?  It looks to be a white shield (photo 3/1) perhaps and if I play around with lighting it looks like some red is in there. I uploaded 8 photos, and tried to be as clear as I could. Below, I've listed what I've been able to gather so far. Any help is appreciated! 

Make: Brodie M1

Year: 1918 (oilcloth date inside)

Steel Rolled by: Thomas Firth & Sons (FS 54 on the rim - photo 6)

Manufactured by: Not sure on this one (see photo 7), but it's something like "__ M __ & CO. 1918"

Inside cloth says: "Ord. Dept. Insp. 24. ___ Div." (photo 8)

Name on strap (in two places): Ed Bloom (photo 5)

Thank you all so much in advance!!

Dave

IMG_6935.PNG

IMG_6936.PNG

IMG_6937.PNG

IMG_6938.PNG

IMG_6939.PNG

IMG_6940.PNG

IMG_6941.PNG

IMG_6942.PNG

Whatever the insignia, it's a very fine example of it's kind.

David

10 minutes ago, GRANVILLE said:

Whatever the insignia, it's a very fine example of it's kind.

David

Thanks very much!  I've seen M1s in better condition externally but when I flipped it over and saw the original leather chinstrap and all the internal components were there, and in good shape + it was traceable to a person, I jumped on it.

Dave

Worth pointing out if it's not obvious - though the shell is British, it has evidently been relined and reissued whilst in American service.

5 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

Worth pointing out if it's not obvious - though the shell is British, it has evidently been relined and reissued whilst in American service.

Thanks for your reply!  I figured as much, since it seemed to have American markings inside. I read that about 400k British Helmets were sent over for the US in WW1. Pretty cool. 

That's the #1 reason I collect military items - so much history and I learn things I didn't know. It's addictive!