Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge ID

Gareth Davies

I am sure I should know the answer but I don't. What Regiment is this chap from please?

IMG_1696.JPG

• Admin

Very distorted image, but possibly KOYLI? 

Michelle 

Dress Regulations 1900: plate 58 -  Field Cap Badge for Kings Royal Rifle Corps,

with identical Field Cap Badge plate 60 - The Rifle Brigade. 

Philip

Is it a stringed bugle ? Michelle could be correct, at a pinch KSLI. 

EDIT. beaten to it. 

Edited by ralphjd

I'm with Mr Wilson (very unlike my dad at the 1964 election, I remember) - Rifle regiment. Possibly one of the London Rifle battalions, or something like the 6th King's.

Does he have something on the upper part of his lapels?

I don't think (I could be wrong) that L.I. regiment officers wore the cord boss.

I think that's a strung bugle on a boss, and if he's wearing XI numerals as collar badges then he's an officer of 11th (County of London) Battalion, London Regiment (Finsbury Rifles).

I have a vague memory of seeing this photograph before, in the Lancing College Roll of Honour. I think his name was Gibson, and he was a master at the school.

Bart

Edit: Yes, think I've got him. Harry Olivier Sumner Gibson. Try here:

http://www.winchestercollegeatwar.com/archive/harry-olivier-sumner-gibson/

Edited by Bartimeus

Well done. Top marks.

Brilliant, thank you. Perhaps I should have said that I was helping out with a youth project that is based around the Finsbury Rifles and that the kids had a copy of the photograph.  

Just now, Gareth Davies said:

Brilliant, thank you. Perhaps I should have said that I was helping out with a youth project that is based around the Finsbury Rifles and that the kids had a copy of the photograph.  

Ah, but that would have made it too easy !

I did some research on the Finsbury Rifles about 25 years ago. It was difficult to find much - I couldn't turn up any one local newspaper that had any close connection with them, nor any trace of a regimental archive. It may be of interest to the students that one of 1/11th's subalterns at Gallipoli later went on to become Field Marshal Sir John Harding, GCB, CBE, DSO (two bars), MC. His biography by Lord Carver ("Harding of Petherton") has some interesting information on how he came to join them.

I used to have a couple of photograph albums relating to them, one of which I think found its way to the National Army Museum (it was compiled by a Captain Lewthwaite). The only picture I can put my hands on now is a group one of the officers before they went to Gallipoli. If it is of use please PM me an email address and I'll send you a copy.

Bart

That's kind.  As it happens they have a good collection of photos, some from the IWM and others from I am not sure where.  

The kids are making some stop motion animations and I have been more involved in artistic input than I have historical input.

5 hours ago, Bartimeus said:

I think that's a strung bugle on a boss, and if he's wearing XI numerals as collar badges then he's an officer of 11th (County of London) Battalion, London Regiment (Finsbury Rifles).

I have a vague memory of seeing this photograph before, in the Lancing College Roll of Honour. I think his name was Gibson, and he was a master at the school.

Bart

Edit: Yes, think I've got him. Harry Olivier Sumner Gibson. Try here:

http://www.winchestercollegeatwar.com/archive/harry-olivier-sumner-gibson/

Is there a list of all collar badges for the Londons?