Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ramleh, Armistice Day, 2017

ChrisWA

We have a group of New Zealanders who are travelling, "From the Ends of the Earth"  to Israel between the 6th and 17th of November as an Anzac tour group.

Our particular interest is commemorating the Battle of Ayun Kara, a uniquely NZ affair,  which was fought on 14th November, 1917 and to visit the memorial sites in RichonLeZion and Ness Ziona. Some time after 1918 the small military cemetery at Richon LeZion was closed and the bodies of the 50, or so NZ dead were re-interred in the British War Cemetery at Ramla.  We want to know if there are commemorations planned for Armistice Day, 2017, particularly at Ramla (also Jerusalem). Since Armistice Day is a Saturday it coincides with the Jewish Shabbat so there will be no public transport on that day. We will have to make private arrangements to be there. Can any member help me with relevant information or recommend a link that does have relevant information? 

There are always services at both Ramleh and Mnt Scopus (Jerusalem) however the British Embassy website does not seem to have details yet

I have contacted someone who might know and hope that they will have an answer for you very soon

regards

Michael

Chris, Michael and all,

I'll create in about a week a thread regarding the planned events in Israel to commemorate the centennial of The Southern Palestine Offensive (Oct. 31st - Dec 31st 1917).

At this stage I can say that there will be 3 clusters of events:

Late October - around Beersheba

Mid November - Coastal plain

Mid December - Jerusalem

Chris, the timing of your tour is perfect! Not all details are finalized yet, but this is how it looks at this moment:

10/11 - Event at Azriqam forest, commemorating the battles of 52nd Scottish and ANZAC Divisions in that area. 

11/11 - Ceremony at Mount Scopus, Jerusalem.

12/11 - Ceremony at Ramleh

13/11 - Event at El-Mughar (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mughar_Ridge)

14/11 - Commemoration of Ayun Kara, both in Nes Ziona & Rishon le Zion.

15/11 - Possible commemoration of The Charge of Abu-Shushe Ridge (Yeomanry Mounted Division). 

16/11 - Possible event in Jaffa, that was captured by the NZMR.

Eran

42 minutes ago, Eran Tearosh said:

I'll create in about a week a thread regarding the planned events in Israel to commemorate the centennial of The Southern Palestine Offensive (Oct. 31st - Dec 31st 1917).

Eran,

Many thanks

I look forward to those further details appearing soon

best regards

Michael

Excellent! We are looking forward to participating in some of these events. Thank you both.

Another update:

Had a few meetings & phone calls today, regarding the NZ events - There will be an evening event at Rishon le Zion on October 30th 

and an event in Nes Ziona on November 14th. No final answer yet regarding Jaffa. 

• 1 month later...

I recently had a reply from the CWGC regarding commemorations in Jerusalem and Ramleh. Here is the text of the email:

Dear Mr Archer,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Our area office responsible for CWGC in Israel has provided the following.

As well as the event in Beersheba on 31st October, a service in Jerusalem will be held in Mount Scopus on 11th November, and there will be events on 12th November in Ramleh War Cemetery and memorials at 9 am.  

According to the British embassy in Tel Aviv, these are not publicised events and are directed at diplomatic missions, organisations and known commonwealth individuals or groups in country. Any member of the public passing may join the events although they are not advertising these events by social media or any other public outlet for security reasons.

I hope that this information is helpful to you, and wish you well with your visit.

Yours sincerely,

Paul Davis

CWGC Enquiries section

10 hours ago, ChrisWA said:

a service in Jerusalem will be held in Mount Scopus on 11th November, and there will be events on 12th November in Ramleh War Cemetery and memorials at 9 am.  

My information is that while the service at Mnt Scopus, Jerusalem, does indeed commence at 09:00

that at Ramleh the next day (12 NOV) will begin at 10:30

It seems that my trip, 5 - 10 Nov, will not coincide with any official events.