Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
TEW

Bn. Diaries on Ancestry - Gone!

TEW

Well, hopefully not but I just tried to access the WO95 diaries on ancestry for another thread and failed to find any evidence for the diaries.

Am in a UK library with free access and diaries usually present but keyword search from card catalogue fails to find them, searching all in Military fails to find them, search term Gallipoli produces nothing for diaries.

Signed in to my own (unpaid) account and still no sign.

Anyone else noticed this?

TEW

keithmroberts

They are still there. Nightmare to find. I think there are other posts about this. The second half of the NA reference seems to be part of the option   for wo 95/2004/1  for example I am sure that the key was to search on 2004/1 but I can't recall the search field that I used.

My saved reference in a tree regarding the above still works - see below

Keith

Capture1917.JPG

rolt968

The link has produced the 8 Cheshires diary for me and I'm on a train at present. A bit slow to move on, but that could be the train wifi.

RM

Edited by rolt968

TEW

How odd, managed to get to them via a link I provided some time ago in another thread. But still no evidence for them via library card catalogue keyword search. Perhaps just a library version glitch.

Thanks

TEW

Bernard_Lewis

Yes, I was kindly pointed to the bit of Ancestry that they live in. I had a quick look but will need to delve deeper. At a glance, I seemed to be turning up battalion WDs in monthly segments, rather than the while diary that I was hoping for.

And, to top it all, there was no obvious sign of the particular diary I was hoping to find. I need to dig deeper...

Bernard

charlie2

I noticed they were missing over the weekend. They are now not in the card catalogue under UK but under europe

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/CardCatalog.aspx#ccat=hc%3D25%26dbSort%3D1%26sbo%3D1%26filter%3D0*39|0*130|1*1652381%26

in case its not quite clear what I mean use the filter top right for europe 

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/category.aspx?cat=130

Edited by charlie2

keithmroberts

Thanks for that Charlie - I knew there had to be an easier way.

Keith

I always use this link I bookmarked a long time ago. Works for me? Click

Mike

mandy hall

I had the same problem, yesterday trying to find medal rolls through the card catalogue.   There was loads of German stuff coming up in the list.  Just looking now and it all seems back to normal, including War Diaries.

Mandy

EDWARD1

I raised the question with Ancestry yesterday, and they could only locate the diaries by going through your recent history search.They offered no reason why it had changed.

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr
On 08/08/2017 at 09:50, EDWARD1 said:

I raised the question with Ancestry yesterday, and they could only locate the diaries by going through your recent history search.They offered no reason why it had changed.

You notified Ancestry of a problem and actually got a response the next day?????????

2 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

You notified Ancestry of a problem and actually got a response the next day?????????

To be fair, I have always found them reasonable and professional when phoning them.

Mike

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr
28 minutes ago, Skipman said:

To be fair, I have always found them reasonable and professional when phoning them.

Mike

I've never found a phone number, but a series of emails I sent them back around 2010 about a massive mis-indexing of a large population in the 1911 Census only got a response weeks later.

And they wouldn't do anything about it as they implied i)they deal with errors on a 'most reported' basis and ii) that's. how the dataset came over from the PRO, so it's their error anyway.

So an error reported by 2 people still has priority over my spotting an error affecting about 15,000 people mis-indexed in the wrong county.

The error is still uncorrected 7 or 8 years later.

Never mind, the 1921 Census will be along soon!

20 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I've never found a phone number,  Click

The error is still uncorrected 7 or 8 years later. That isn't going to change soon and it is pathetic.

Never mind, the 1921 Census will be along soon! I didn't think there was a surviving 1921 Census?  Mike

20 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr
57 minutes ago, Skipman said:

I didn't think there was a surviving 1921 Census?  Mike

I thought there was one, but it's not going to be released till 1922.

Also I think I read somewhere that the format of the forms is  a little different to 1911.

I think the 1931 forms were all destroyed by fire during the war, but not as a result of enemy action.

56 minutes ago, Skipman said:

The error is still uncorrected 7 or 8 years later. That isn't going to change soon and it is pathetic.

Yes. I know.

Re 1921 Census, looks like you're right. 2022 release.

Mike