Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bombardier and Corporal dilemma

Lawryleslie

On a soldier of the RGA's military record it states he was promoted to Acting Bombardier and later to Bombardier. I've been led to believe that these ranks are specific to Artillery regiments and equivalent to Lance Corporal and Corporal respectively. However in 1918 the soldier in question, although no apparent demotion, was promoted Acting Corporal, reverted to Bombardier and then promoted full Corporal even though he remained with the RGA. To confuse the issue even more upon discharge in December 1918 he signed a disability disclaimer as a Corporal of the RGA.

Can anybody shed any light on this apparent anomaly please?

Edited by Lawryleslie

15 minutes ago, Lawryleslie said:

I've been led to believe that these ranks are specific to Artillery regiments and equivalent to Lance Corporal and Corporal respectively.

No, that was not the case. Have a look here - 

Gunner, Acting Bombardier (later Lance Bombardier), Bombardier, Corporal, etc..

Kevin

1 hour ago, kevinrowlinson said:

No, that was not the case. Have a look here - 

Gunner, Acting Bombardier (later Lance Bombardier), Bombardier, Corporal, etc..

Kevin

Thanks for this Kevin. So, in RGA and other artillery regiments, Bombardier was an additional rank between substantive Gunner and Corporal. That explains everything. 

I have neither my notes nor books to hand (holiday). I am sure someone will supply the date before I get home.

At the beginning of WW1, the one stripe rank in the Royal Artillery (all branches) was bombardier. The two stripe rank was corporal. (N.B. Bombardier was a rank not an appointment like lance-corporal). Later the two stripe rank became bombardier and the one stripe rank lance bombardier. (I think that happened about 1920, but I am sure someone will be able to supply the date before I get home to my books/notes.)

Hence your soldier was appointed Acting Bombardier, then promoted Bombardier, then appointed acting Corporal, reverted to his substantive rank of Bombardier, then promoted to Corporal.

RM

Yes. The change came under Army Order 142 of 1920 (with thanks to Muerrisch for quoting this on another thread).

Incidentally the RE and the AOC also had a rank of "2nd Corporal", equivalent to Bombardier.

Ron

33 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Yes. The change came under Army Order 142 of 1920 (with thanks to Muerrisch for quoting this on another thread).

Incidentally the RE and the AOC also had a rank of "2nd Corporal", equivalent to Bombardier.

Ron

Thanks Ron. I knew someone would supply the date before I got home.

RM

If anyone had bothered to click on the link that I gave in #2 they would have seen the actual AO 142 posted. Acting Bombardier, later Lance Bombardier after November 1917, was a Lance appointment, and both wore 1 stripe like a Bombardier. One could also have Acting Bombardier (Rank) which probably necessitated the change to Lance Bombardier.

Kevin

On 08/08/2017 at 09:18, kevinrowlinson said:

If anyone had bothered to click on the link that I gave in #2 they would have seen the actual AO 142 posted. Acting Bombardier, later Lance Bombardier after November 1917, was a Lance appointment, and both wore 1 stripe like a Bombardier. One could also have Acting Bombardier (Rank) which probably necessitated the change to Lance Bombardier.

Kevin

Err Kev I did just that and thanked you for your help........if you could be bothered to look back at the previous posts. 

Only pulling your leg, thanks again for your help it us much appreciated.

LL

11 hours ago, Lawryleslie said:

Err Kev I did just that and thanked you for your help........if you could be bothered to look back at the previous posts. 

Only pulling your leg, thanks again for your help it us much appreciated.

LL

I appreciated your acknowledgement and my reference was to those that posted after it.

Kevin