Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte John McKenzie of Birkenhead - KIA 5 August 1917

delta

Grateful for Pals assistance learning more about Gnr John McKenzie, from Birkenhead, was killed on 5 August 1917 and his body was buried at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery.

Born in Carlisle in 1890, John was the son of Railway shunter Francis McKenzie and his wife Mary. By 1901 the family had moved to Tranmere.. He probably enlisted at Coventry in early May 16; his home being shown as Liverpool in the Motor Cycle published on 4 May 1916.

Posted to D Coy, he served with the Dracula crew on 15 September 1916 at Flers and was also a member of the same crew at the end of the month. He is likely therefore to have been in action at Eaucourt l'Abbaye on 1 October.

He was serving with No 10 Company of D Battalion Tank Corps when he was killed - possibly as a result of enemy artillery fire. Sadly his death is not recorded in the D Battalion War Diary so the exact cause is unknown.  His parents address according to the CWGC records was 13 Seymour Street, Tranmere, Birkenhead.

Whilst he is Not Forgotten, I have been unable to find any memorial to his life in the United Kingdom. Any advice for learning more about him would be appreciated.

Death notices in Liverpool newspapers in Aug 1917. Parents at 3 Vernon Place, Conway Street, Birkenhead. Appears he was engaged to a Miss H Wood.

DoB: Probable registered as early as 1Q 1889. 

Edited by Mark1959

Great news Mark, thanks for the additional information

I know it will be a fairly common name but, unless there's more than one in the area, he's probably the J McKenzie commemorated on the Birkenhead war memorial.

Thank you John. I was unable to find a list of names but that would make a lot of sense

• 6 years later...

38020 (later 206169) Private John McKenzie 10th Coy. "D" Bn Heavy Branch Tank Corps, was the son of Francis and Mary McKenzie, and enlisted in April 1916. At the time of his enlistment, he was living at 3, Vernon Place, Conway Street, Birkenhead. He was hit by a large shell and badly wounded and taken to the CCS at Lijssenthoek, Belgium, where he died of wounds on 5th August 1917. Private McKenzie is buried in Plot 17, Row B, Grave 5A, Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Belgium. He is commemorated on the family grave headstone in Bebington Cemetery, Wirral; on a war memorial stained glass window in Tranmere United Reformed Church (now demolished); and on the Birkenhead Cenotaph in Hamilton Square.

Kindest regards

Pete Threlfall

Hamilton Square War Memorial, Birkenhead (1).JPG

McKenzie J. Tank Corps.JPG

P1150477.JPG

19247857_2114896171857501_80517738098563995_n.jpg

Pete

Thank you for sharing this info which I have added to my master list 

In 1911. he was boarding at 129 Aldbourne Rd Coventry working as a coach painter at a motor manufacturers - one of many tradesmen who would join the MMGS and Tank Corps 

He is not forgotten!

Stephen