Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Citation for Military Cross won by an American.

john white

2 hours ago, TEW said:

My thoughts were that MICs were created from the rolls. However, cards would also be created following an application to Medal Office. Perhaps the codes on the card refers to correspondence telling him which department to apply to.

Regarding the question of which came first, MICs or medal rolls, I suspect the answer would depend on whether one is looking at officers or other ranks.

It was certainly the case that while those due to other ranks were issued automatically, officers' medals had to be applied for, which implies that no rolls for them were compiled in advance. Certainly the format of the rolls varies considerably between officers and ORs, with the officers' rolls being pretty sparse in detail by comparison. I believe the necessary form an officer had to fill out was EF9, as one often sees an annotation regarding its return on the MIC. If an officer did not apply for his medals there will certainly not be a roll entry for him, and in most cases no MIC.

The other common annotations I can recall seeing on officers' MICs are either to the effect that application was made on their behalf by some higher authority, e.g. "Secretary of the Air Ministry makes application..."; or some higher authority compiled rolls of officers under its control at that particular time (usually between 1919 and 1921) who would be entitled to medals in the event that they applied for them, e.g. "Secretary Military Dept India Office forwards nominal roll of officers entitled..."; "D.A.G. 3rd Echelon G.H.Q., E.E.F. forwards roll of officers eligible for award of 1914-15 Star"; "O.C. 1st Bn Wilts Regt forwards nominal roll of officers entitled to medals".

The interesting point about W.B. McBean's case is that his two MICs seem to indicate both these possibilities have been covered. The earlier card shows his name being included on a list provided by 'Army Headquarters': "Chief Surgeon forwards list of officers claiming B.W. Medal 10-10-19", while the second shows Dr. McBean making an application on his own behalf, dated 23-11-1923, from his address in Yonkers. The lack of a roll reference on either card, and the absence of his name from the rolls themselves, I think must point to the conclusion that Dr McBean was deemed ineligible, so no further action was required from him, and in the end no British campaign medals were issued.

Bart

• 7 months later...

Dear Members

Re William Bruce McBean

Some interesting news. A cousin of mine has started a family history project and asked for contributions. From the family of my uncle Bill, the son of William Bruce have come certain documents, one of which is his copy of the Citation for the award of a British Military Cross, a copy of which is attached. I would assume that a copy is held at Kew. Dr McBean was attached to the 8th London Regiment ( the Post Office Rifles) during 1918 and during his tenure with the Battalion was twice gassed. The effect of the gas  contributed to his death at an early age in New York in 1927.

Thank you to everyone who contributed.

Regards

John White

Macbean- citation for Military Cross.pdf

William Bruce Macbean -Abstract..jpg

Dear Members

Re William Bruce McBean

I don't think the actual copy of the citation made it! I will try again.

Regards

J W

• Admin

John

The PDF with the citation and photos attached fine. It was a link immediately above the attached image. I've edited your post to make it  bit clearer.

Glen

GWF Admin Team

Dear Glen

Thanks for your Email.

Are you sure that the PDF has gone through as I can't seem to open it from my end? It only shows details of my documents!

Regards

John White

Dear Members

I Re William Bruce Macbean

I'm not sure whether the attached can be read so i have been advised to send another PDF which is attached.

Regards

John White

William Bruce Macbean.pdf

• Admin
On 8/6/2017 at 22:49, Maureene said:

Perhaps there might be something in The National Archives record 

WO 388/6 British decorations awarded to the following Allied armies: Belgium, China, Czechoslovakia, Egypt, France, Greece, Italy, Japan, Montenegro, Nepal, Portugal, Roumania, Russia, Serbia, Siam, USA

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10984821

This record is available as a free download

Cheers

Maureen

My thanks, this looks like fascinating stuff and free too!

David

• 9 months later...
On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 12:07, john white said:

Dear Members

I am trying to find the citation for William  Bruce MacBean. an American doctor, who was attached to the 1/8th London regiment,the post office rifles, in 1918. He has a British Medal Index Card but it only shows an address in Yonkers,New York State. Sadly he died in Yonkers in 1927. I have looked in the London Gazette but could find no trace. Can anyone help please?

Regards

John White

Hi John,

I recently came across some personal items for William MacBean MD via an antiques auction, please PM me for more details.

Regards

James

Dear James (or  Dukey!)

For some reason I seem to have missed your post. Could you let me have full details? Apologies for the delay. My email address is johnwhiteoystermouth'gmail.com

Regards

John White

With reference to the above my Email address is johnwhiteoystermouth@gmail.com.Sorry about the error.

Regards

J W