Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GARY STAFF GERMAN BATTLECRUISERS OF WW1

Signals

Sad to report that Gary Staff has crossed the bar, I managed to get to his funeral Thursday the 3rd of August

Gary, well known for his published books on the Imperial German Navy in WW1. Gary was born in Portsmouth in 1954, lived in Australia most of his life, was an Airline Captain, but his passion was certainly his naval research.

Gary would only use primary source documents he would obtain from the German archives for his books, and also he would meet families in Germany who would open up their treasure troves for him to study. Gary was also able to translate all the old documents into English for his publications.

He will be remembered for his thorough research and skillful work, especially on matters concerning Construction of the German Battleships, Battlecruisers, and cruisers. I often helped him when he came across the Royal Navy Submarine service crossing paths with the German ships, which was a constant game of the British submarines trying to have a crack at the Germans throughout the war, He would ask me, which subs was this, and I would pass over the British logs and Patrol reports which would nicely complete the event.

Gary was a member of this forum, but kept his identify hidden, as do many authors. There can be some frustration from those who research from primary source documents as compared with non researched myths, and as Gary found, when myths are set in concrete they are hard to crack even with a mountain of evidence put under peoples noses. 

Gary will be a huge loss for the world of Naval History, he was very close to finishing his next book. Hopefully Pen & Sword can do something with it.  

Edited by Signals

I have some of his books, a great loss for Naval research,

• 1 year later...

I remember him as a formidable, dedicated historian - and a lovely guy