Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hill 80. Near wytschaete

glenda hewitt

Does any body know just where Hill 80 is.  Could it be near the vierstraat switch.  I am interested in the area from butterfly farm up to Messines ridge.

Thank you

Cote 80 on the first map is Spanbroekmolen.

Following on from Yorke Scarlett's identification of Point 80 this is what it looks like now. The trees on the horizon surround the Peace Pool where the mill used to be and the pool that now fills the Peckham mine crater is just behind the trees on the other side of the ploughed field. The picture was taken from Maedelstede Farm just in front of the crater there looking south south west.

Pete.

5985b8a62de6a_Mysterylandscape.thumb.JPG.c4cef18cd747a07b55cc1041fb0567fd.JPG

Edited by Fattyowls
left the l off pool; schoolboy error

16 hours ago, glenda hewitt said:

Does any body know just where Hill 80 is.  Could it be near the vierstraat switch.  I am interested in the area from butterfly farm up to Messines ridge.

Thank you

You may be interested in Project Whitesheet. Search on Twitter or Facebook. It's a projected dig on Hill 80.

• 2 years later...

We're 2019 now, the soldiers that have been found will be buried next week and "Hill 80" is by the press (and even by CWGC) considered as a real wartime name for that area... I think the group of archaeologists should make it clear on their website that the area was NOT known as Hill 80 or Höhe 80 during the war (it is not even a hilltop) and that that name was an invention by them.

(and I never understood why a German picture, probably from the Vosges, ended up on their website: http://hill80.com/history/history/)

Jan