Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stubborn Sporran

I've been trying to shed some light on this sporran for a little while and has caused quite the head ache. At first glance it appears to be alright until the three knobs at the top are taken into consideration. I cannot for the life of me find any photos of this specific sporran in use anywhere and yet it seems like a genuine piece, I was wondering if I could get some others opinions who have more experience than I do.

20374505_10159124636910357_6184688842593607745_n.jpg

20429785_10159124636960357_2281819180057093091_n.jpg

20476450_10159124636955357_3322549732912695554_n.jpg

Looks like the bit of bling that serjeant's sporrans often have - certainly on the Cameron Highlander's one that I have,there are also three knobs (albeit to a different design).

A connection with the 4th Highland Mountain Brigade RGA, seems the most likely, but Campbell College Cadets in Northern Ireland apparently wore similar, although the three ball top is unusual.  The single boars head badge has cropped up before:  

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

A connection with the 4th Highland Mountain Brigade RGA, seems the most likely, but Campbell College Cadets in Northern Ireland apparently wore similar, although the three ball top is unusual.  The single boars head badge has cropped up before:  

The three ball top with metal rim may have been a distinction reserved for the Pipe Major.

9 hours ago, gordon92 said:

The three ball top with metal rim may have been a distinction reserved for the Pipe Major.

Yes, that would be a logical differential, although it seems not very grand and devoid of any regimental device.

As others have mentioned, boars head badges were worn on the sporrans cantles of the pipers of Campbell College OTC/CCF (Northern ireland), the 4th Highland Mountain Brigade RGA and also.....on the sporrans of the 5th Royal Scots of Canada.

Unfortunately the sporran cantle or the badge itself is not the same as the ones they are known to have worn, although without photographs of every year they existed, who knows if at one time, they wore something slightly different. 

The boar's head is associated with the Clan Campbell and as such, the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, it's possible that a volunteers/territorial unit may have worn them.  Dollar Academy OTC/CCF was also affiliated to the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders but I have no idea what sort of sporrans they wore in their early days.

Aberdeen UOTC also has a boar's head as a cap badge but they haven't always had.  But I've never seen a photo of them with such sporrans, they wore/wear Gordon Highlanders furniture/accoutrements.  

There have also been a number of civilian pipe bands over the years which have been 'Clan Campbell Pipe Band' and 'Campbell Pipe Band', one of which existed in Scotland in the 1920s/1930s.  In much later years other bands with the same name have existed in Scotland and in North America.  Sorry but I've no idea what the 1920s/19302 band wore.    

Probably a very stupid question, but is there nothing written inside the pocket or under the tag stuck on the back?

1 hour ago, Ron Abbott said:

As others have mentioned, boars head badges were worn on the sporrans cantles of the pipers of Campbell College OTC/CCF (Northern ireland), the 4th Highland Mountain Brigade RGA and also.....on the sporrans of the 5th Royal Scots of Canada.

Unfortunately the sporran cantle or the badge itself is not the same as the ones they are known to have worn, although without photographs of every year they existed, who knows if at one time, they wore something slightly different. 

The boar's head is associated with the Clan Campbell and as such, the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, it's possible that a volunteers/territorial unit may have worn them.  Dollar Academy OTC/CCF was also affiliated to the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders but I have no idea what sort of sporrans they wore in their early days.

Aberdeen UOTC also has a boar's head as a cap badge but they haven't always had.  But I've never seen a photo of them with such sporrans, they wore/wear Gordon Highlanders furniture/accoutrements.  

There have also been a number of civilian pipe bands over the years which have been 'Clan Campbell Pipe Band' and 'Campbell Pipe Band', one of which existed in Scotland in the 1920s/1930s.  In much later years other bands with the same name have existed in Scotland and in North America.  Sorry but I've no idea what the 1920s/19302 band wore.    

Probably a very stupid question, but is there nothing written inside the pocket or under the tag stuck on the back?

You make a very good point about the Dollar Academy, Ron, as they had slipped my mind and yet I distinctly recall a post/thread on the forum here, where a large image of Dollar Academy cadets showed them wearing a uniform sporran with the single boar's head.  I cannot remember if it had the three ball top to the cantle though.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 1 month later...

Here are some photos from Great War era 4th Highland Mountain Brigade - Bute Battery Pipes and Drums at Bedford.  Not a great shot but the lad on the right in front may have a similar sporran. The second photo is purportedly of the 51st Division but may be of the 51st Divisional Ammunition Column as the HQ 4th Highland Mountain Brigade was tasked with forming the new AC prior to deployment to France.  Anyone care to sort out the various badges, sporran, etc?

Mike Morrison

59b9787c27359_PipesDrumsBMB.JPG.9514e1421498c97a01908319012f72a2.JPG

59b9787c27359_PipesDrumsBMB.JPG.9514e1421498c97a01908319012f72a2.JPG

51stDiv.jpg.a665213197d40b2d1b2c52799f4b8d96.jpg

• 2 years later...

Not military …...civilian …… and worse …….  a child's sporran.  I had an identical one as a youngster. Please look at the width of the cantle in relation to stitching - it's no more than 4-5 inches across.