Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Service Corps 1916

margliz

I would appreciate any information on the 23rd (Labour) Coy (ASC) in 1916 please. I have recently established that an ancestor of mine, John William Mills Service No SS/22864 died on 10 March 1916 aged 28, whilst serving in France and Flanders. He is buried at St Sever Cemetary Rouen and I have obtained a photograph os his grave from the War Graves Commission. Would it be possible to find out when he enlisted, what his role was and what wounds he died of.

Many thanks in anticipation for your help.

MILLS_JOHN_WILLIAM WAS RECORD WW1.pdf

Hi

if you have Ancestry access.........

SDitGW - record HERE - enlisted in London

Medal Roll HERE - -   - states "Accidently Killed" 

Medal Index Card HERE

Soldiers Effects HERE - died near Rouen - Gratuity paid to Half sister Jessie E Searle

Edited by jonbem

If you look at

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/letter-prefixes-to-british-soldiers-numbers-in-the-first-world-war/

you will see the prefix to his service number "SS" means "Supply Special" - depending what his civilian trade was.

Edited by jonbem

Many thanks, I am not a member of Ancestry (I use Find My Past which gave me a start point for my original search. I would love to see the detail if you are at liberty to divulge, I appreciate if that is not possible though.

Thanks again for the additional info

Just now, margliz said:

I would love to see the detail if you are at liberty to divulge, I appreciate if that is not possible though.

Final changes to copyright and posting attachments   08/05/17

On FMP, if you go to A-Z records (http://search.findmypast.co.uk/historical-records)

put in search field "Army" or "Armed",  there are lots more lists to search that may give you more info

There doesn't appear to be a service record, possibly lost in WW2 bombing of the archives

The war diary, if it can be located, might give some detail, but ASC Labour Company ones are often tucked within other regiments or divisional ones, so really need in depth searching

You can get his medal index card download from National Archives for £3.50 HERE

There are usually six on each record so the other five relate to other people

Thanks again. I'm no expert and only found out about him via my family history search. Never even knew that my grandmother had a half brother! Shame that neither she nor my father are around to find out more  

Potential this has the war diary  for the 23 Coy - HERE - again a £3.50 download from National Archives - is within this lot

Reference: WO 95/1604/4
Description:

Divisional Troops: Divisional Train (17, 19, 23, 24, Companies) A.S.C.

Date: 1916 Jan 1 - 1919 Apr 30

20 hours ago, margliz said:

I would appreciate any information on the 23rd (Labour) Coy (ASC) in 1916 please.........

John William Mills Service No SS/22864 died on 10 March 1916 aged 28, whilst serving in France and Flanders.

He is buried at St Sever Cemetary Rouen

The 23rd (Labour) Co. ASC were formed on 1st November 1915 (and disbanded 25th March 1917)

They served in the BEF at Rouen, where Private Mills is buried

[info from Col Michael Young's history of the ASC; Annex K, p.236]

I have no precise details regarding 23rd (Labour) Co ASC however I note from 'No Labour No Battle' by Starling & Lee (p.79)

"At the beginning of October 1915 it was decided that the ASC Labour companies should be used to discharge RE materials from ships. As a result one company would be stationed at each of Boulogne, Havre and Rouen and two at Calais."

As 23rd (Labour) Company ASC was formed just a couple of weeks later and went on to served at Rouen, then it seems a likely possibility that this was their task

Edited by michaeldr

19 hours ago, jonbem said:

Medal Roll HERE - -   - states "Accidently Killed" 

Wondering what the accident was?

Thanks for the extra info michaeldr  

4 hours ago, jonbem said:

Wondering what the accident was?

Yes would like to find out