Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cartridge case ? whopper . NRRF possibility.

beestonboxer

Can anybody ID this cartridge case for me please, I know its not a Great War dated item but  believe it was in use during the war period ( possibly ) will be interested to hear your comments, the size of the shell is about 94cm high and the measurement around the centre of the case is 16 inches. By far the largest one in my collection and probably the oldest its an interesting item. Expect the anchor indicates naval issue, produced in ? Turkey ? Russia ? UK ???? have put it next to a jet starting cartridge for some comparison.

Tim

bigshell.jpg

bigshell2.jpg

Edited by beestonboxer
new information to light

Yes, Cyrillic characters it is and so... The 'P' is an 'R', and the pi character is a 'P'.

Bl**dy big cartridge/shell case whatever it is!

Edited by trajan
Add extra information

• 7 months later...

To follow up on my original post as some more information has come to light. The cartridge came from a collection of bits and pieces connected to Major Alexander Guy Boldero I have posted several photos from the collection with connection to his service in Mesopotamia - Kut on the forum already.

Interestingly a few more photos have come to light including 3 from the North Russia Relief Force of which Major Boldero was a member serving as Embarkation Officer at Bakaritza.

One of the photos from Major Bolderos  collection is titled " Taken from H.T Czaritza white sea, Czar astern May 1919" this photo has in the past been copied and is in the collection of the IWM which has it listed as " Troopship convoy to North Russia viewed from HT Czasitza photo taken from just behnd stern 6 inch gun, the Czar astern the Stephen immediately behind White Sea 1919".  So just possibly a souvenir of his voyage to Russia taken from the HT Czaritza.

I know its only a probability but regardless its an interesting photo.

russia1.jpg

Well, if the circumference of the case in the middle is 16", the diameter there is just over 5", so it's not from a 6" gun. That's why I was thinking 120mm./ 4.7" calibre. 

1 hour ago, MikB said:

Well, if the circumference of the case in the middle is 16", the diameter there is just over 5", so it's not from a 6" gun. That's why I was thinking 120mm./ 4.7" calibre. 

Yes you are correct in what you posted before, I am wondering if it is known what armament the HT Czaritza was actually fitted with ? although the IWM mention a 6 inch gun in the description of the photograph Is it actually a factual description I expect it would be difficult to tell the difference between a 4.7" and a 6" gun just by looking at a photo although  this opinion comes from someone who knows very little about this subject.

Anyway another nice photo to add while partly on the subject of Russia. British Forces being welcomed at Archangel 27th May 1919 Brig Gen Grogan VC receives bread and salt. 

russia2.jpg

6 hours ago, beestonboxer said:

I expect it would be difficult to tell the difference between a 4.7" and a 6" gun just by looking at a photo

Yes, the gun in the photo looks distinctly smaller than 6" and could well be a 4.7 or thereabouts. Its topside recoil buffer doesn't show on the Russian 120mm Pattern 1892 in Wikipedia, and looks quite like some British models, however. Hard to be definite.