Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Clarence Henry Austin, 13720, Northumberland Fusiliers

Following attendance at the recent Tyne Cot Commemoration ceremony we are keen to try and find more information on my wife's, grandmother's, first husband who was presumed killed in action on 12th / 13th April 1918.

His name was Clarence Henry Austin, 13720,  and was recorded as a Lance Serjeant and is remembered on one of the Tyne Cot wall panels. In the CWGC records he is recorded as belonging to the 4th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers but other records accessed via Find My Past potentially link him with the 12th / 13th Battalion but apparently with nor record of a transfer.

5981f26c3e053_ClarenceHenryAustin.jpg.e3e2461131f384b1495a9d2291110f84.jpg

Evidence from his wedding banns shows that he was in Tring in 1915 after enlisting which we think supports the 12th / 13th link as they are shown to have trained in this area whilst the 4th Bn may already be posted to France.

We are keen to try and find which specific action he was killed in before the 100th anniversary of his death as the Battalions mentioned were in different divisions and locations as far as we have found so far.

If anyone has any further information that would help us we would be very grateful.

Steve and Melanie Hope

Brussels

Hi and welcome

if you have access to Ancestry...

Medal Index HERE - presumed dead, first into France 9/9/15

Medal Roll HERE - states 13th NF #13720 acting Sjt

Soldiers Efffects HERE notes 12/13 btn - looks like war gratuity to widow Lucy

SDiGW

Name: Clarence Henry Austin
Birth Place: Radford, Notts
Death Date: 13 Apr 1918
Death Place: France and Flanders
Enlistment Place: Nottingham
Regiment: Northumberland Fusiliers
Battalion: 12 13th Battalion
Regimental Number: 13720
Type of Casualty: Died

War Diary on National Archives for £3.50 download is HERE

Reference: WO 95/2155/3
Description:

12/13 Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers

Date: 1917 Aug. - 1919 Apr.

or on Ancestry April 1918 for 12-13 NF starts HERE

regards

Jon

Hi,

When you were on FMP, did you also have a look at the image associated with this 'hit'? Sorry I can't look at the mo, my sub is currently lapsed.

Regards

Chris

8 minutes ago, clk said:

Hi,

When you were on FMP, did you also have a look at the image associated with this 'hit'? Sorry I can't look at the mo, my sub is currently lapsed.

Regards

Chris

No images on FMP, just transcript, but British Army, Northumberland Fusiliers 1881-1920 Transcription does state

"Signal Sect'n; MIA 12-13/4/18; No indication of serving with 12/13th Bn in MR?"

Hi,

As forum member Graham Stewart provided FMP with their NF database information I'm sure he will pick up on this topic and may be able to provide more information.

Steve Y

Hi Jon,

1 hour ago, jonbem said:

No images on FMP

That's unusual. The camera icon should go through to an image of the page of the GRO indices which would show the unit details, as per his death certificate.

Regards

Chris

Edit: Looking at one that I already have, it only show the regiment, and not the battalion.

Edited by clk

52 minutes ago, clk said:

The camera icon

no camera icon

Hi Jon,

9 minutes ago, jonbem said:

no camera icon

Academic now I know, as it wouldn't contain the level of detail that I'd hope for, but it's very strange. This is  screenshot of what I'm seeing...

Jon_2.jpg.cdbfcac55ea1314e36eecd000fadaffe.jpg

Regards

Chris

s'pose it depends where looking

fmp.png

Thank you all for the information so far (and so promptly) - as a newbie to this area I had not realised the variety of sources that can be used and even that that the search results can vary as you have shown in the screenshots

I will certainly be following the Ancestry links from now as they appear to be more comprehensive in some areas than FMP

we are still intrigued to find which Battalion he enlisted with and the one he finally died with as the CWGC records (4th Bn) do differ from the information kindly supplied here (12/13th) although the latter is more consistent with other civilian records and the regimental history. If anyone could cast a light on this we would be very grateful

We look forward to any other posts !!

Kind Regards

Steve