Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Genuine Reproduction German Regimental Stein

ph0ebus

Hi all,

Back after a break from the forum (real life getting in the way, and all that).  Check out my latest acquisition, for the princely sum of a dollar at a local charity thrift shop!

Marked Gerz, West Germany on the base.  Missing its lid (sadly) but otherwise not a bad addition to the stein collection.  Just shy of 7" tall.  I would assume the unit being represented is IR9?  Has anyone seen a legitimate IR9 Regimental Stein we might compare this to?  I am curious just how fantastic the elements on this stein are.

-Daniel

IMG_20170801_190328928.jpg

IMG_20170801_190344595.jpg

IMG_20170801_190353182.jpg

IMG_20170801_190403496.jpg

It's the 9th Bavarian Infantry Regiment. It doesn't look as detailed and sharp as a real stein and most are made from white porcelain and not brownish clay.

Jan

Daniel,

It's still a nice thing to have, have you tried a quaffing a brew from it yet?

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

Apropos and BTW -I am still looking for a genuine WW1 beer recipe, either British or German for a brewer friend. If anybody can help?......

I quite like the look of it, nice decorative item, even if it is reproduction, at least you don't have to worry too much about the 'cat' knocking it over.

khaki

Edited by Khaki

Indeed!  The real deal can be quite costly, even more so if the cat knocks it over!

I did try it, and the brew was a cold treat on a hot day.

These types of steins (real or otherwise) are not very common here in the stated, at least in my neck of the woods.  I was happy to have found it and picked it up.

Was there any sort of uptick in reproduction/forged steins and such overseas with the advent of the 100th anniversary?

7 hours ago, egbert said:

Apropos and BTW -I am still looking for a genuine WW1 beer recipe, either British or German for a brewer friend. If anybody can help?......

I would imagine the Rheinheitsgebot law would mean hops barley and water would have made a recipe for German WW1 beer pretty much the same a modern day one. Especially as bottle conditioning is still part of the home brew procedure.

Dave

Edited by depaor01

Hi

even reproduction are rather expensive these days so a definite bargain.

regards

• 5 years later...

While the experts are gathered might I ask about this one? Which I acquired it very recently but  I hadn't considered the possibility that it was a reproduction. It appears in excellent condition (perhaps too excellent?)

around the rim below the cap it reads "1.Bayerischesluftschifer Battalion. Munchen 1910"

it appears to be named to Johann Seemann.

IMG_1121.JPG.f4d665bc52e3a903e222bb058f105682.JPGIMG_1123.JPG.48aa289cfd8fcedac5d99f0257e60f71.JPGIMG_1126.JPG.7e3f489901e01e790758026ed3a2abfd.JPG

IMG_1129.JPG.0b6c6cde6e00ee03d0b09be6017b0a24.JPG

Apologies for the pics I will retake them

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons

I really like it. Looks good apart from the "erinerung" [sic] with a line over the n. Never seen that in written German.

No doubt someone of more authority will be along shortly...

15 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

erinerung" [sic] with a line over the n

The line over an m or n doubles the letter, originally two m‘s or n‘s were written one above the other, this developed over time to just the line.  The line now belongs to history.

Charlie

15 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

The line over an m or n doubles the letter, originally two m‘s or n‘s were written one above the other, this developed over time to just the line.  The line now belongs to history.

Charlie

I live and still learn. Thanks!