Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Bn KRRC 1914

Nick1914

Dear All, over the last few weeks we have been engaged in a very interesting series of posts involving BEF embarkation ships in 1914.  I note the 2nd Bn KRRC left Southampton on the SS Galeka and arrived at Le Havre on 13th August 1914.

Unfortunately I cannot find a list of officers who sailed.  I have 5 individual names but no comprehensive list.  Sources checked include the War Diary(WO/95/1272), including the Appendices, Westlake's "British Battalions" normally a good source but only details of 3rd Bn in December 1914 and finally the history "Annals of the KRRC".  Again nothing.

Help most appreciated.

Additionally when trawling the War Diary Appendices for  20th Oct 1914 (pg 18) I saw a reference to an officer casualty going sick on that date ''Lt XXXX - Forest and CSM.......left sick".  Can anyone please help decipher the officer's name?

Not at home this morning Nick - I think I have a nominal roll of the 2/KRRC officers at embarkation.  Definitely have a roll for immediately pre-War.  Will advise once I'm reunited with my library.

Mark

Post Options Post Options 

Thanks (0) Thanks(0) 

Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReplyDirect Link To This Post Topic: S.S. Galeka (Hospital Ship Sunk 28/10/16)
    Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 19:40

SS Galeka

HMHS Galeka and the HMHS Britannic
HMHS Galeka alongside the larger HMHS Britannic
Career  
Owner: Union-Castle Mail Steamship Company
Builder: Harland and Wolff, Belfast
Yard number: 347
Launched: 21 October 1899
Completed: 23 December 1899
Fate: Hit a mine laid by German U-boat UC-26on 28 October 1916. [1]
General characteristics
Tonnage: 6,767 tons
Length: 440 ft (130 m)
Beam: 53 ft (16 m)
Speed: 12.5 knots (23.2 km/h)
Steamer Galeka.jpg
magnify-clip.png

SS Galeka was a steam ship originally built for the Union-Castle Mail Steamship Company, but requisitioned for use as a British troop transport and then a hospital ship during the First World War. On 28 October 1916 she hit a mine laid by the G

Dear Johnboy, Amazing what the questions throw up!  Probably better if the your SS Galeka post is transferred by a GWF moderator to the 1914 Embarkation Post?  Lots of great info here so be a shame if missed by the the significant numbers following this thread rather than KRRC focus.

Thanks Nick

Mark, can I be a pain and also ask for the 1st Bn KRRC BEF embarkation list?  I'm working systematically through a list Martin has provided and keep throwing up gaps!

Best, Nick

Hi Nick,

If you have access to Ancestry. the 2nd Bn 14 Star officer roll appears to start here. The disembarkment dates should give you a pretty reliable list.

Regards

Chris

5 hours ago, clk said:

Hi Nick,

If you have access to Ancestry. the 2nd Bn 14 Star officer roll appears to start here. The disembarkment dates should give you a pretty reliable list.

Regards

Chris

Not that reliable as 1st and 2nd KRRC both disembarked on the same day :D

... so you could just wait for me to get home :thumbsup:

Here you go ...

Edit: LIST DELETED ON PUBLISHING A CORRECTED VERSION FURTHER DOWN

Mark

Edited by MBrockway
Further investigations revealed anomalies

3 hours ago, Nick1914 said:

Additionally when trawling the War Diary Appendices for  20th Oct 1914 (pg 18) I saw a reference to an officer casualty going sick on that date ''Lt XXXX - Forest and CSM.......left sick".  Can anyone please help decipher the officer's name?

I cannot find the page you're referencing in the war diary, but your man will be Lt. T.R. FORSYTH-FORREST.  He did not go out with the battalion, but joined in the field 04 Sep 1914, reported Sick 20 Oct 1914.

Mark, impressive and most helpful....I look forward to anything from home when you have time.

Chris, I haven't got Ancestry but the Star Roll is a good tip for the future.

Best, Nick

Mark, would you by any chance know the precise date(somewhere Oct '14 onwards) when Archibald Hoare, a  2nd Bn KRRC officer newly commissioned from the ranks, was wounded?   I believe it was a gsw to the foot.

He was kia Nov 1917.

Sorry for keep asking! Nick

3 minutes ago, Nick1914 said:

Mark, would you by any chance know the precise date(somewhere Oct '14 onwards) when Archibald Hoare, a  2nd Bn KRRC officer newly commissioned from the ranks, was wounded?   I believe it was a gsw to the foot.

He was kia Nov 1917.

Sorry for keep asking! Nick

Wounded 02 Nov 1914

Mindful of your research thesis, Capt JA Anderson, attached from RAMC, went back to UK sick on 26 Oct 1914

4 hours ago, Nick1914 said:

Dear Johnboy, Amazing what the questions throw up!  Probably better if the your SS Galeka post is transferred by a GWF moderator to the 1914 Embarkation Post?  Lots of great info here so be a shame if missed by the the significant numbers following this thread rather than KRRC focus.

Thanks Nick

Mark, can I be a pain and also ask for the 1st Bn KRRC BEF embarkation list?  I'm working systematically through a list Martin has provided and keep throwing up gaps!

Best, Nick

iam happy o leave it here as back ground to your posts rather than move it where it will end up as a chart of some sort or another

f mg wants pics he has only to google them  he told me not long ago that I only posted for post count and my posts were rubbish so if he wants info he can find it for himself. 

Nick,

I've spent the afternoon doing a cross-reference between the early roll and a later roll from late 1915 that details those who were "Mobilized with the battalion".  I have checked the anomalies found against other KRRC sources and can now give this REVISED list of 2/KRRC officers at Embarkation ...

2/Lt Oswald HC BALFOUR
2/Lt Rafe HM BARCLAY
2/Lt William P BRISTOWE - joined Bn in field 29 Nov 1914
2/Lt William RM CROSSMAN
2/Lt S DAVISON
2/Lt John S FORSTER
2/Lt JFE GOAD - Special Reserve, landed 12 Sep 1914, joined in field 21 Sep 1914, wounded & MiA 31 Oct 1914, POW
2/Lt Richard PENNEFATHER - stayed in UK and landed with 11/KRRC 21 Jul 1915
(Andy: further to our phone call, his brother, CL Pennefather was killed in action with 2/RB in 1916)
2/Lt George SR THOMPSON
2/Lt EV TINDALL
Lt Maurice F BLAKE
Lt Robert HM BOND
Lt Philip JR CURRIE
Lt John HS DIMMER - wounded and awarded VC 12 Nov 1914
Lt Craufurd T ELLISON - landed 22 or 28 Aug 1914, joined in field 05 Sep 1914, wounded 14 Sep 1914
Lt JS MELLOR
Lt Raymond JH PURCELL
Lt Hon Eric EMJ UPTON - Adjutant
Capt Gilbert J ACLAND TROYTE - employed OUTSIDE 2/KRRC as Staff Captain, 2 Brigade
Capt JS ANDERSON, att. RAMC
Capt Augustus E CATHCART
Capt John EN HESELTINE
Capt George J JACKSON
Capt George K PRIAULX
Major JW DWANE - NOT ACTIVE in BATTALION: actually retired Quarter-Master and stayed in UK
Major Hubert FFB FOLJAMBE
Major Rudolf G JELF
Lt.-Col Eric PEARCE-SEROCOLD

Plus these additions ...
Major Lewis F PHILIPS - the bn's Senior major!
Major Henry C WARRE, DSO - although on strength of 3/KRRC (who were still in India), landed with 2/KRRC on 12 Aug 1914, trfd to 1/KRRC 03 Nov 1914
Lt Bertram W JACKSON
2/Lt Richard C FEATHERSTONHAUGH
QM & Hon Lt Albert E ROBINSON

It is sad to note that 23 of these officers had either been killed or wounded by the end of October 1914.  :poppy:

Mark

6 hours ago, Nick1914 said:

Best, Nick

Nick

Sorry, but I did not spot this request lurking in the text of another post!

I will look into this later.

What names has MG given you for 1/KRRC?

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes 14/6/16 with the 2nd RB. He wrote some very scathing correspondence regarding the staff and planning of Neuve Chapelle to fellow RB officers who had recently left the battalion. Calling them incompetent, clueless and so out of touch with what was actually happening on the battlefield causing unnecessary utter slaughter in many cases.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

Hi,

On 31/07/2017 at 23:34, MBrockway said:

Not that reliable as 1st and 2nd KRRC both disembarked on the same day :D

I guess that might be the case if the 1st Bn officers weren't listed on pages that had 1st Battalion typed on them. For the pages that don't, what is left is...

Nick.jpg.ba350a8c51a519e5a2058b81e6923f75.jpg

Source: Ancestry.co.uk - 1914 Star Medal Rolls

It seems like a pretty good match to the revised list, so I think that the technique does have some validity.

Cheers

Chris

42 minutes ago, clk said:

Hi,

I guess that might be the case if the 1st Bn officers weren't listed on pages that had 1st Battalion typed on them. For the pages that don't, what is left is...

Nick.jpg.ba350a8c51a519e5a2058b81e6923f75.jpg

Source: Ancestry.co.uk - 1914 Star Medal Rolls

It seems like a pretty good match to the revised list, so I think that the technique does have some validity.

Cheers

Chris

I agree: a good match. 

The only anomalies are those extra-regimentally employed, like Acland-Troyte.  As a staff officer with 2 Bde (2/KRRC's brigade) he went out at the same time.

Lt Robert H WILLAN is listed as not joining the battalion until 20 Sep 1914 (in the field), and wounded a week later.  Like Acland-Troyte, he was employed extra-regimentally, in his case with 1st Signalling Company, Army Signalling Service, Royal Engineers, where he had been attached since 1912.  This unit seems to be the divisional signallers for 1st Division (2/KRRC's division), hence the same Disembarkation date, though he did not go out with the battalion.

Take these two out and it's a perfect match!

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

Dear Mark & Chris, thanks for all this work......so professional.  Also your casualty insights are most useful. With regard to Robert Willan do you think when he went back to the battalion on 20th Sept it was in a regimental officer role to replace one of the many junior officers kia/wounded on the Aisne?  Or would it be with his Signalling hat still on?

With regard to Martin's list this is ORBAT-based not Name-based but shows how each unit embarked with dates and ships etc.  Most useful.

My complete list of 1st Bn KRRC officer Casualties(only) in 1914 is below and includes attached officers from other regiments(annotated) plus reinforcement joining dates.  Note the list is in order of casualty occurrence.(August to December 1914).

• Wilkie/Archibald Hanning - *(original embarkation group 13th Aug on SS Honorius to Rouen)
  • Chaworth-Musters/Patricius George (“Pat”) *
  • Butler/H W
  • Banon/Ronald Awly
  • Bonham-Carter/Algernon Lothian
  • Woods/Reginald Herbert
  • Bradford/Edward Austen
  • Lloyd/Humphrey Clifford
  • Maclachlan/Alexander Fraser Campbell (3rd KRRC) *
  • Makins/Geoffrey - Sept ’14
  • Alston/John Stirling
  • Ranken/Harry Sherwood -  (RAMC ex-Eygptian Army)*
  • Cavendish-Bentinck/Ferdinand William -  (3rd KRRC) - 24th Aug?
  • Northey/Edward  *
  • Brocklehurst/Archibald Henry *
  • Clowes/Charles George Edric
  • Harman/Arthur *
  • Armytage/George Ayscough
  • Cronk/William Guy -(3rd East Kent) - * 8th Oct
  • Ward/Kenneth Hilary Wodehouse
  • Bourke/Eustace George Walter *
  • Hone/Thomas Nathaniel
  • Battenberg/Maurice Victor Donald
  • Sweeting/Henry Carol - (late 5th KRRC) - 5th Oct
  • Llewellyn/William Wynn - (3rd Somerset LI) - 19th Oct
  • Wells/Walter Neave - (3rd East Kent) -8th Oct
  • Willis/Audley Lionel York -(5th KRRC) - 8th Oct
  • Waring/Edward Robert - (5th KRRC)
  • Casey/James
  • Slater/Richard Henry -(???4th Warwicks)
  • Seymour/Beauchamp -(3rd KRRC) - 5th Oct
  • Collins/Charles
  • Lucas/Samuel
  • Reynard/Charles Horner - (2nd KRRC) - 8th Oct
  • Richards/Robert
  • Schoon/Charles Frederick
  • Wadner/Thomas
  • Gough/Guy Vincent Hugh
  • Wakefield-Saunders/Alan Morley - 8th Sept
  • Lynes/Wynne Parr - (5th KRRC) -  5th Oct - 4th Reinforcement)
  • Ward/Harold Eyres -(3rd East Kent)
  • Denison/Edward Bridgeman

Hope this helps.  Nick

Nick,

I'm confused - are you wanting the roll of officers who landed with (either) battalion on 13 Aug 1914?  Or all the officers who served in these battalions in August to December 1914?

Mark, sorry for the confusion. I'm just looking for those officers who landed on 13th Aug who eventually became casualties in 1914. ie there are 4 groups

1) landed 13 Aug and not casualty in 1914 - not my target

2) landed 13 Aug and subsequently casualty in 1914 - my target

3) landed later as reinforcements and not casualty in 1914

4) landed later as reinforcement and casualty in 1914 - of interest but not my question in this instance.

I just added all my list ie groups 1 & 4 hoping for confirmation and any additions.

Best regards, Nick

What does the asterisk signify in the list in Post #22 ?