Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which way did WW1 soldiers press their trousers?

rolt968

This was provoked a post war photo of King George V and his two eldest sons in RAF uniform. Apparently one of the bones of contention between KGV and the then PoW was that the PoW had sharp creases in his trousers "fore and aft" which KGV believed was a bit "raffish" (no pun intended!). In the photo the king is clearly wearing uniform trousers pressed with creases at the sides while the princes have their creases fore and aft.

Which way were WW1 soldiers expected to have their trousers pressed (when they could!)?

I have seen many pictures of the post war smarted and better cut SD with the trousers pressed fore and aft but I am not so sure of wartime photos.

RM

RM,

I wonder if the habit started in his days in Queen Victoria's navy? Wiki tells me he was a Midshipman in 1880.

He certainly gave the PoW a hard time. The latter records in his autobiography being pulled up by his father on the first occasion he wore turn-ups on his trousers:

the King asked him if it was raining outside.

regards

Michael

2 hours ago, michaeldr said:

RM,

I wonder if the habit started in his days in Queen Victoria's navy? Wiki tells me he was a Midshipman in 1880.

He certainly gave the PoW a hard time. The latter records in his autobiography being pulled up by his father on the first occasion he wore turn-ups on his trousers:

the King asked him if it was raining outside.

regards

Michael

Yes, I had wondered if KGV was influenced by his RN career.(He got much further than midshipman.) The trousers of ratings "square rig" uniform were certainly pressed with creases at the side, but had thought that officers' trousers were pressed "fore and aft".

RM