Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ring of Eight Bells For St George's Memorial Chapel, Ypres

Footpad

A ring of eight bells will be installed in St George's Memorial Chapel, Ypres. Each bell has a dedication with one simply inscribed 2017. The bells were cast at Taylors Foundry in Loughborough. Before being hung they travel through the battlefields to the Menin Gate. Wednesday, 30th August 2017 The bells will be in Belgium and will travel from the Tyne Cot Cemetery to the Menin Gate on the Thornycroft & Dennis lorries to be present at the Last Post Ceremony at 8.00pm that evening. The proposed route, subject to change, is: 2.30pm Arrive Tyne Cot Cemetery Parking area – low loader with Thornycroft and Dennis lorries to be unloaded on arrival 4.30pm Leave Tyne Cot Cemetery  Parking area 5.10pm Arrive Hooge Crater Cemetery 5.35pm Leave Hooge Crater Cemetery 5.50pm Arrive Perth Cemetery (China Wall) 6.25pm Leave Perth Cemetery (China Wall) 6.40pm Arrive Railway Dugouts Burial Ground (Transport Farm) 7.15pm Leave Railway Dugouts Burial Ground (Transport Farm) 7.30pm Arrive at Menin Gate 8.00pm Last Post Ceremony at the  Menin Gate 8.30pm Leave Menin Gate.

597e09f22ee69_Ypres100Bellfs.jpg.71e69e2799107e29406bd1e5ea04473b.jpg

597e09f7b02dc_YpresANZACBell1fs.jpg.b066bd01bab75b81693ac99e887e52c3.jpg

597e09fd4a1f7_YpresBells1fs.thumb.jpg.fceb4333d4ff421bd29be478c089590a.jpg

Hello Footpad.

Look forward to hopefully getting a band together and get over there for a ring sometime. What's the weight?

Greatly enjoyed a tour of Taylor's Foundry last December, most interesting.

Kind Regards

StGOB

That is most impressive. I can't imagine why it hasn't attracted far more publicity.

• 4 weeks later...

The bells are now on their way (via the Great Dorset Steam Fair over this weekend) http://halfmuffled.wordpress.com/2017/08/22/bells-on-their-way-to-st-georges-ypres/ The blog post has some photos of the send off from Loughborough, and links to other Facebook posts with more photos and even some video of the original First World War lorries being used for the trip (they will ride on a modern flat bed some of the way)

Does anyone know waht happens after the 30th of August?

When will the bells 'be hung' in the church, for example?

Can they be viewed anywhere?

The planned opening is 22 October, the church website has the following:

The Bells will be in Belgium and will travel from the Tyne Cot Cemetery to the Menin Gate on the Thornycroft & Dennis lorries to be present at the Last Post Ceremony at 8.00pm that evening.

The confirmed route and timings are:

30th August

1.45pm Leave the army barracks

2.30pm Arrive Tyne Cot Cemetery Parking area – low loader with Thornycroft and Dennis lorries to be unloaded on arrival

4.30pm Leave Tyne Cot Cemetery Parking area

5.10pm Arrive Hooge Crater Cemetery

5.35pm Leave Hooge Crater Cemetery

5.50pm Arrive Perth Cemetery (China Wall)

6.25pm Leave Perth Cemetery (China Wall)

6.40pm Arrive Railway Dugouts Burial Ground (Transport Farm)

7.15pm Leave Railway Dugouts Burial Ground (Transport Farm)

7.30pm Arrive at Menin Gate

8.00pm Last Post Ceremony at the Menin Gate

8.30pm Leave Menin Gate

31st August

09.15am Depart the Army Base

09.45am Arrive Ypres Reservoir Cemetery

10.20am Arrive at the Grote Markt

11.00am Arrive at St George’s Memorial Church

There will be a reception to follow in the Church Hall.

The work to hang the bells in the tower will start after this date.

• Sunday 22nd October 2017

The bells will be dedicated in the tower at a special service which will start at 11.00am - again, this will be a very special occasion

There will be a reception to follow in the Church Hall.

Exact timelines will become clearer once the bells are out there.

Thanks for the time table

Looks like I'll have to wait until next year to see/listen to the bells..

There's a great album of photos showing the bells all the way from the foundry to the church here 

• 1 month later...

A quick update/reminder. The service of dedication for the bells is taking place this morning at St George's, as in the schedule above. I just heard an item on local radio news. 

Just listening to them ringing (nice little bit of coverage on Radio Leicester, 8.50am if anyone wants to catch it).

Beautiful. 

I haven't been into St George's but will make a point next time I am on Ypres. 

This link should go to the programme on the iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05hv03b (it will be available for another 29 days, you need to sign in these days to listen).  Just move the slider to just before 2 hrs 50 min.

• 1 year later...

Well, I finally made it! My first visit to St George's, over Christmas. Took quite a lot of photos but it wasn't until the last moment I realised I had been walking up and down past 3 'There But Not There' and hadn't even noticed. They were certainly 'not there' until the light hit them.

Lovely, peaceful chapel, far too many inscriptions to read in one go but I found those that linked into my research.

Margaret

ka.jpg

St George's not there sm.jpg

Interesting use of "Ypres" rather than "Ieper" on the Taylor placard.

I doubt if that went down too well!

My wife and I are competent ringers and will visit Ieper some time in 2019.

How do we go about joining a band for a ring please?

The church seems to use Ypres fairly consistently, eg the website is https://www.stgeorgesmemorialchurchypres.com/ 

So far I'm aware, the easiest way of getting in touch with their ringers is via their Facebook group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/340870066384039/ - happy to act as intermediary if you don't do Facebook, just PM me.

Edited by David_Underdown

1 hour ago, David_Underdown said:

The church seems to use Ypres fairly consistently, eg the website is https://www.stgeorgesmemorialchurchypres.com/ 

So far I'm aware, the easiest way of getting in touch with their ringers is via their Facebook group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/340870066384039/ - happy to act as intermediary if you don't do Facebook, just PM me.

Thank you , we don't do Facebook so PM sending.