Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Weekly Casualty List (War Office & Air Ministry)

TGM

Just spotted on The British Newspaper Archive:

Weekly Casualty List (War Office & Air Ministry)

Issues 59

Pages 2,452

Available years 1917-1918

For this newspaper, we have the following titles in, or planned for, our digital archive:

• 1917–18 War Office Weekly Casualty List (London, England : 1917)
  • 1918–18 Weekly Casualty List (War Office & Air Ministry ) (London, England : 1918)

This newspaper is published by an unknown publisher in London, London, England. It was digitised and first made available on the British Newspaper Archive in Jul 27, 2017 3 days ago . The latest issues were added in Jul 27, 2017 2 days ago.

NB Army and Navy Gazette (added in Oct 3, 2015)             

Recommend TBNA first ever webinar.     

TBNA should be available via most public libraries - free to register and you should have unlimited credits (to view full-text/images) when searching on library premises.

Edited by TGM

Thanks for advising.

However, be aware that currently, there are no digitised issues between Tuesday 01 January 1918 and Tuesday 23 April 1918. I wonder if they will be added in time?

The same issues also are on findmypast.

Cheers

Maureen

These have been available (searchable by name) on the Genealogist site (pay to view) for sometime.
https://www.thegenealogist.co.uk

For those not aware, these Weekly Casualty Lists include the wounded, as well as those who died.

Sepoy

Edited by Sepoy

This previous post indicated that the Genealogists records were to April 1918. I don't know whether it has changed since then, but if not,  the records on BNA/findmypast extend past that. The two sets can be used in conjunction, as BNA/findmypast are missing early 1918 issues.

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks for the reminder - just wanted to flag its availability on another platform.

The genealogist's cut off point is the Weekly List No. 36 April 9th 1918 which covers the Daily List from March 28th 1918 (No. 5528) to the Daily List of April 6th 1918 (No. 5533). With the BNA picking it up from the Daily List of April 15th 1918 (No. 5540) that's only the Weekly List No. 37 missing in the sequence.

Will be proving very useful!! As a bonus BNA have the option to correct the OCR text (or will have when they correct the current issue). Anyone fancy correcting all issues!!

A quick test of the OCR and search function on BNA shows it to be spot on. Just searched for 6097 Rowe from this thread and he pops up on Weekly List Oct 1st 1918.

TEW

On 30/07/2017 at 14:39, Maureene said:

Thanks for advising.

However, be aware that currently, there are no digitised issues between Tuesday 01 January 1918 and Tuesday 23 April 1918. I wonder if they will be added in time?

The same issues also are on findmypast.

Cheers

Maureen

I think there are limitations on the Find My Past access to newspapers.  I parted company with FMP a few years ago when they "improved" the site supposedly but I have a full subscription to the BNA and am often asked for help with newspapers by friends who subscribe to FMP.

On 06/08/2017 at 10:11, mbriscoe said:

I think there are limitations on the Find My Past access to newspapers

FindmyPast in conjuction with BL own BritishNewspaperArchive, I thought. So I presumed that anything on BNA would be accessible on FMP, just as easily. Are you saying this is not so?

On 8/6/2017 at 09:11, mbriscoe said:

I think there are limitations on the Find My Past access to newspapers.  I parted company with FMP a few years ago when they "improved" the site supposedly but I have a full subscription to the BNA and am often asked for help with newspapers by friends who subscribe to FMP.

You might be interested in this pending development mentioned in TBNA Help.

20 hours ago, charlie962 said:

FindmyPast in conjuction with BL own BritishNewspaperArchive, I thought. So I presumed that anything on BNA would be accessible on FMP, just as easily. Are you saying this is not so?

According to TBNA: 

FindMyPast subscriptions have access to all the newspapers available on The British Newspaper Archive

14 minutes ago, TGM said:

According to TBNA: 

I think there's usually a slight delay in the papers appearing on BNA as compared to FMP but as far as I'm aware they mirror each other in newspaper content.

Craig

The search options are a bit more fine grained on BNA.  One trick suggested to me in the past is to do a free search on BNA, then copy the text that comes up in the results snippet and use that as your search string on FMP.

Thanks for that  little trick David

2 hours ago, TGM said:

You might be interested in this pending development mentioned in TBNA Help.

I note BNA imply their search facility is better standard than FMP

• Admin

I'm interested in trying to get access to these casualty lists.

I subscribe to FMP but not to the BNA.

May I just clarify for my understanding please ..

Here is a snippet from random search on the BNA for a War Office weekly casualty list. Are we saying these are also available on FMP? If so, I can't find them - any advice?

Thanks,

Russ

BNA Weekly Casualty List.JPG

22 minutes ago, RussT said:

I'm interested in trying to get access to these casualty lists.

I subscribe to FMP but not to the BNA.

May I just clarify for my understanding please ..

Here is a snippet from random search on the BNA for a War Office weekly casualty list. Are we saying these are also available on FMP? If so, I can't find them - any advice?

Thanks,

Russ

BNA Weekly Casualty List.JPG

I can see them now on FMP but they weren't showing this morning when I searched for them.

Craig

• Admin
13 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

In Search Newspapers & Periodicals you will see them598ca4f3a8de9_CasListonFMP.JPG.3f37a2b530996ac4b53cd7e0036774d3.JPG

Thanks Charlie - got it now. I was word searching on variants of weekly/casualty/lists/wounded etc but just got the usual long list of various newspapers where these words or a string of those words appear -- but none on those hits actually brought up an actual WO casualty list. Looks like you have to filter first specifically for that "Newspaper" as per your advice.

Regards

Russ

• 3 months later...
  • Admin

Maureen

Thanks for posting.

It seems that when you view an image from the second link it is launched as a jpeg file within their own image viewer whilst when launched from the first link it opens as pdf file. The latter is far more cumbersome in trying to re-size and move the image around for viewing. Don't know why they have done it like that.

Russ

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 17/07/2019 at 14:53, FLaing said:

The weekly casuality lists are now freely available on the National Library of Scotland's Digital Gallery https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/144481815

Worked for me - downloaded a few PDFs and used the 'Search' facility on them and found my men.

Slow but ... very helpful as I don't have FMP.

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418