Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Henry Williams location of grave?

jiminalta

James Henry Williams I nor my father ever met!

James Henry Williams died  in a hospital in Boulonge France on November 3 1916 from wounds sustianed on the battlefield!

My father was only a  couple months old!

James Henry Williams  member of the 10th Royal Welsh Fusiliers BEF

15017-A Co

Im not a computor wizard and at 65 years wish to stand at the side of my Grandfathers grave, actually be the first and only member of our family to do so!

I am here to ask of any assistance  I may get to make that  dream come true!

I have never stood on  Europes soil and with only very humble funds  will visit Boulogne this october!

If any have info that may help me  locate further info on my Grandfhers resting place! I will be eternally thankfull!

yours truly James Edgar Williams Vermilion Alberta Canada! thank you!

Is this him?

Private
Service No:
Date of Death:
03/11/1916
Regiment/Service:
Royal Welsh Fusiliers

10th Bn.
Grave Reference:
VIII. D. 164.
Cemetery:
BOULOGNE EASTERN CEMETERY

Additional Information:
Husband of Harriet Jenkins (formerly Williams), of 3, Hill Head, Llantwit-Major, Cardiff.

i have no idea how you managed this ,but im flabergasted and brought to tears!

Yes my Grandmother was indeed Harriot and I walked handd in hand with her so many times!

My most sincere thanks for this info !

you are trully a good soul, THANK YOU,

Jim

In the meantime you should see how neat the cemetery looks !

http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/4800/BOULOGNE EASTERN CEMETERY

As it doesnt seem to open here (!) you should search on CWGC cemeteries and it will appear !

Edited by sotonmate

7 minutes ago, sotonmate said:

Jim

In the meantime you should see how neat the cemetery looks !

http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/4800/BOULOGNE EAST CEMETERY

a little problem with the link, this one is ok :

http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/4800/BOULOGNE EASTERN CEMETERY

mva

Thanks ! It wasn't clicking for me even after several amendments.

Wasting my time too as jt had already a link !

Edited by sotonmate

A pleasure to be able to help. He landed in France in 27 September 1915. His medal records include two references to service with edge 10th RWF, bracketing a period at one of the Infantry Base Depots in France.  That suggests a period of sickness or an earlier wounding. According to calculations based in the Effects Register (thanks again to Craig) he enlisted in October 1914.

Born Varteg, Monmouthshire. Residence Pontypridd. Enlisted Abertridwr, Glamorgan.

Through October 1916, the battalion was in Bertrancourt and Louvencourt and suffered a number of casualties on working parties.

Hi James,

Forces War Records have transcribed a 'hospital' admission/discharge register entry for your grandfather, it says that he was taken by 31 Ambulance Train from Varennes on 21/10/1916, and was detrained/discharged at Boulogne on 22/10/1916 suffering from " Gunshot wound thigh (left), head, foot (left)". Movement by an ambulance train is some way down the evacuation chain (see here), but depending on individual circumstances may have happened quite quickly. Whilst it is unlikely to mention James by name, it might be worth looking at the battalion war diary (£3.50) from here to see if there is anything noted shortly before 21st October 1916 that may account for his fatal wounding. It may also be worth looking at the diaries for 76 Infantry Brigade HQ here, and 3 Division HQ (General Staff) here to hopefully get more added context, and perhaps give you a battlefield location  you could visit on your trip from across the pond.

Regards

Chris                                                                                                                                                                                   

I am overwehmed by the assistance I have recievedamd with info provided will be more able to make my visit to stand by him  even more rewardind!

Already My youngest son Dallas James Williams .

Thank you all very much!

This was my father  10th field Ambulance

20150210_134833.jpg

No mention by name in the battalion War Diary and very light on details of dispositions-see my previous post.

Hi James,

If you'd like a photo of your grandfathers headstone in advance of your planned visit, it looks like the good folk at British War Graves may be able to give you one, on a free of charge basis. They've helped me in the past. The link to their website is here.

Regards

Chris

Hello James

The distribution of his wounds suggests that they were probably caused by shrapnel or shell splinters, though it is possible that he was the victim of a machine gunner - these tended to aim at ankle height, and anyone falling over would find his whole body a target.

I am sure that you will find your visit to Boulogne both rewarding and moving, and I wish you well.

Ron

• Admin
On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 18:56, jiminalta said:

James Henry Williams died  in a hospital in Boulonge France on November 3 1916 from wounds sustianed on the battlefield!

Dear James

I can narrow it down to him succumbing to his wounds in either the No 13 General Hospital or the No 13 Stationary Hospital.

I have the War Diary for the No 13 General Hospital for the relevant period but he is not mentioned - however - neither is anyone else as it is very unusual for named deaths to be recorded in hospital war diaries. If he was admitted to this hospital on 22/10/1916 (from Ambulance Train No 31 as per post #8), then he was one of 350 admissions to this hospital on that day.

I don't have the War Diary for the No 13 Stationary Hospital - you can download it from the National Archives for £3.50 - although I would doubt very much he would be mentioned.

Have a good trip to Boulogne - my Great Uncle also rests in Boulogne Eastern Cemetery - it's a lovely place.

Kind Regards

Russ

Edited by RussT

• 4 weeks later...

my great thanks for the info !  I do not do well on a computor so only use it occasionally!

this info along with all otber I have recieved is extremly helpfull a d im looking forward to spending some time At the cemetary!

I have a small token of my fathers I will lea e with my grandfather!

Thank you sincerly!

• 3 weeks later...

today I leave on this experience!

With the heart felt assistance I have recieved There is little doubt I will sta d by my grandfathers graveside!

As I write  tears fill my eyes  as I think of these great soles we  cherish!

You folks have made it possible for me to walk there with themand for that I will be eternally thankfull!

I hope you all that have helped me and others realize what a gift you have given!

to you all bless you and thank you!

When I return I will bring a follow up on my journey!

• 3 weeks later...

Well the days past slowly but I finally arrived in Bologne.Apon arrival early day we first chected in .

Gail force windsdrove rain hard into the streets of the city!

With the information from this above group I simply had but to ask at the desk were I was to find the  Eastern cemetary!

Our desk clerk provided a map and drawed in the directions!

My wife and I put on our rain coats and walked into the street about a half hrs walk brought us to the gates of the eastern cemetary !

As it is higher in the city the winds were extreme and the rain poured down ,we walked into the  areaa of military  grave sites not knowing really where to start! DRENCHED AND COLD AFTER THE WALK AND AN HR OF SEARCHING I HEARD A SHOUT FROM Bonnie MY WIFE . A knot tightened inmy gut as I walked to the group of headstones in front of her!

There he lay since his burial on a november day in 1916 ,a very private and gut wrenching time ! 

Time past I stood with my wife and took in the s ene of this buetifully kept area these heros occupy!

The care of this area shows others share the respect im sure all reading also share!

I returned alone  latter but will never now forget the warmth I felt even in the driveing cold rain in that blustery afternoon!

Thanks to all who have helped me realize this quest!

Thank all who also gave there all and lay with grampa!

You all made dreams come true!

James Edgar Williams Vermelion Alberta Canada

Hi James.

I reckon visits to family graves are always moving affairs. I know how I felt when I visited both my great uncles' graves - one in Belgium, the other in France.

John

• Admin

Thank you for sharing this with us Jim, when I visited him in September the weather was good but sadly for you it wasn't. I have visited a family members grave in Belgium many times, but there's always a tear in my eye.

Michelle