Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BBC2 Passchendaele tomorrow

Steven Broomfield

Looked like his knees were playing him up to me.  Alas we are all human and I fear his frame is wearing out.  Best leave the heavy lifting to Wills, Kate and Harry.

I suspect selecting what goes into such commemoration events is a challenging operation for media people. Looking ahead, the Somme and Ypres commemorations will seem like childsplay when contrasted with quite how to select content for any 1918 commemorations.   I wonder if the French will take the lead on that one or perhaps each nation will commemorate in its own way ?  Do I hear the strains of De Sousa drowning out La Marseillaise ?

Edited by Hyacinth1326

11 minutes ago, PhilB said:

I thought the PoW (or King Charles as Kirsty called him and instantly apologised) was rather lacking in emotion considering that the men were fighting for his granddad. 

She actually called him Prince Phillip, getting him confused with King Phillipe.

Mike.

22 minutes ago, PhilB said:

I thought the PoW (or King Charles as Kirsty called him and instantly apologised) was rather lacking in emotion considering that the men were fighting for his granddad. 

Probably merely a keyboard error but it was Charles great grandfather George V.

Steve Y

One thing I didn't understand that sometimes that Ieper was called a City and sometime later was called  a town.  

Is is it a city or a town 

1 hour ago, tullybrone said:

Probably merely a keyboard error but it was Charles great grandfather George V.

Steve Y

Of course!:unsure:

6 minutes ago, thetrenchrat22 said:

One thing I didn't understand that sometimes that Ieper was called a City and sometime later was called  a town.  

Is is it a city or a town 

Tricky one that. In the Middle Ages Ypres was one of the most important cities in one of the most prosperous regions of Europe. But it declined.

It had a cathedral, but 200 years ago that church lost its cathedral status, and became just an ordinary parish church.

So, tricky.

Ieper is a city as it has historical city rights (just as Messines with its 1,000 inhabitants).

In principle there is still a bishop of Ieper, so technically one can still call St. Martin's church a cathedral... see https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titulair_bisdom_Ieper

Edited by AOK4

Thank you for your replies.  

A titular bishop is usually an assistant bishop in a real diocese who is given the title of some long defunct diocese. For example I remember that when the bishop of Portsmouth was getting old they appointed an assistant bishop to help out, and the new man was named titular bishop of Etenna. Whenever he was introduced to anyone he had to explain that Etenna had been a bishopric in Asia Minor 1500 years ago. It is not an ongoing function: when the assistant bishop of Portsmouth got promoted to be a full bishop somewhere else there was no replacement titular bishop of Etenna.

But I have never heard of a titular bishop having his own separate cathedral. Could be, I suppose. Still this is perhaps rather esoteric for the present forum.

I enjoyed the coverage, anyhow.

Edited by Hyacinth1326

The coverage was fine but the 'Wipers Time' skit just didn't do it for me'

Could someone tell Hislop its a bit of an 'in' joke and not half as funny as he seems to think it is.

Maxi

I switched on to the highlights at 1930 on BBC 2 and have found the readings from contemporary letters very moving.

5 hours ago, PhilB said:

Great granddad.

Thankfully Boe and Snow were too far to be audible.

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 21:48, PhilB said:

See post 40.

Well I have now!

I wonder if they will do any televising for Cambrai ?

I very much doubt it as it is not one of the major national commemorations.  

I've been away so did not watch this live.In fact, I didnt even know it was on. However, when we got back, family members universally said how much they had found it both interesting and moving. So, we watched it on catch-up. Thought it a bit drawn out but, generally, it seemed to hit the right notes for the intended audience. And, of course, the intended audience are not war "anoraks" like us but the ordinary members of the public who know next to nowt about the war. They will have learned something by watching.

This anorak also learned a couple of things by watching.

I was there  (sitting next to Sir Jeffrey Donaldson who blanked me and texted for most of the show). I think it worked well. Sitting under the bulk of the Cloth Hall was very impressive. War House is so cheesy but the crowd loved it. I agree that Wipers Times doesn't work as well as Hislop thinks it does.

12 hours ago, ianw said:

I was there  (sitting next to Sir Jeffrey Donaldson who blanked me and texted for most of the show). I think it worked well. Sitting under the bulk of the Cloth Hall was very impressive. War House is so cheesy but the crowd loved it. I agree that Wipers Times doesn't work as well as Hislop thinks it does.

His brother is a good chum of mine, I will pass on your complaint.

Donaldson.