Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

212th Siege Battery RGA 1917

Flamstead

As part of a small group researching the history of the WW1 casualties from the village of Flamstead, Hertfordshire, I was recently given a copy of a newspaper article relating to the sad death, in action, of 102343 Gunner Frederick George Charge. He was, according to the article, one of six men from the Battery killed by a single German shell on the 8th June 1917.

I have been able to establish quite a bit about Gunner Charge thanks to his Service Record being available online and the newspaper article referred to above. But I'm struggling to identify much about the 212th Siege Battery RGA, that he was serving with, including where they were based in the weeks leading up to his death.

It would be great if anyone out there had any knowledge / information on this unit and what they were doing in February / March 1917 and might be kind enough to share it with me so that we can add this individual to his rightful place amongst the stories of the men from the village who never returned home.

Regards,

Simon

Simon

Although officially recorded as KiA on the 8.6.17 the actual fatal shell burst happened on the 7th. There is held on ‘Forces war records’ a personal diary of a Bty Sgt that covers the incident, names Charge and the other casualties, and will tell you much of the movements weeks before of this mechanised 4 x 6in Howitzer Sge Bty that went out to the WF in Dec16, although he (Charge) joined them ‘ in the field’ in January17.

Rgds Paul

Google: ‘Sgt Frederick T. Hope 212th Siege’

Hi Paul,

That's brilliant - your help is truly appreciated.

I would never have found that reference in a month of Sundays and, yet again, this website comes up trumps.

Regards,

Simon