The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Favourite Gravestone Inscription

ianw

Hi,

An old friend of mine is re-learning Welsh, which was once his only language, and offers this as a translation.

HE DID HIS DUTY

GREATER LOVE THAN THIS

HAS NO-ONE

Regards,

Martin

A touching inscription for Pte Richard Forrest 12th Battalion AIF at Trois Abres Cemetery

HAD WE A DEAREST WISH

FULFILLED

DEAREST DADDY

WE WOULD ASK FOR YOU

• 4 weeks later...
And doesn't it just underline what the Forum is all about? Carrying a remembrance of the men and boys - and the women too - to ensure that they are never forgotten.

adrian

"Attention!"

Hats Off!"

"Hats On!"

"At Ease"

Kaere Son Vi Modes Snaert

Dear Son, we'll meet soon.

Marina

Please give the name of the soldier, and the location of his grave.

This is only the second inscription in danish I've come across.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

I started a new thread on exactly this area of the Great War, having found this far better place to list here we go

In the midst of life we are in death

Peace perfect peace

In ever loving memory of our son, gone but no forgotten

The souls of the righteous are in the hands of God, RIP

Rest in peace

Wiltshire farmer`s lad

Say what a good man ought to be and he was that

Father thou wast the guide of my youth

Killed in action forever with the lord

I have fought a good fight I have finished my course, Leander

Gone but not forgotten

In the often sea of headstones I find the inscriptions the detail that catches the eye, the emotion that family members went through to detail their wishes to be placed upon a headstone that the vast majority would never see.

Best Regards

Bob

Their is a book called (I think) "forever England" about the inscriptions on graves in the Arnhem/Oosterbeek cemetary - it doesnt go into them all but selects a few and explains the source (poem or whatever) and significance - it also splits them into different catagories such as loved ones "to the world just a man to me the world" type, heroic ones such as one refering to the 300 spartans but I cant recall the exact text. Its a nice little book and worth a look.

I dont have much experience of WW1 cemetaries but have on a number of occasions visited Arnhem cemetary - in the past I have intended to read every grave but even with the best intentions after maybe 4-500 I find myself emotionally exhaused. I think I have probably read them all now but I am struggling to remember examples.

Alistair

Just found this.

Does anyone know the full name of the book and the author?

I want one!!!

Bruce

In response to NoRemorseDK

There is a Danish inscription on the gravestone of private 2448358 PS Holck, 1st Bn Canadian Inf, in Haynecourt cemetery:

"Fodt I Danmark 1889 hvil kaere son aere vaere dit minde"

I have never forgotten the following inscription seen on an Australian headstone at Villiers Bretonneux. This was on my first visit to the Western Front courtesy of the original Major & Mrs Holts Tours.

“Tread softly, my son lies here”

Apologies if this is not exact, it was many years ago.

Norman

Someday, someday, we'll understand

On gravestone of David Gillan, Canadian Infantry; killed during the Canadian Riots at Kinmel Camp, Bodelwyddan Cemetery N Wales

Bruce

The correct title is 'oosterbeek For ever England by Jan G Crum ISBN 90 75665 65 2

I have a copy that I thought I bought from the Airborne Museum in Oosterbeek last year but cannot find it on their website (www.airbornemuseum.com) also tried abebooks.com but no joy there either! Also looked at the airborne shop but again no joy!

Its a small paperbaxck but a good read nonetheless

Hope you find a copy (i think mine was about £6 or £8 !)

Best Regards

Andy

East Surrey Regiment

L/Cp J E Hall aged 19

post-12839-1208097259.jpg

Would to God that I had died for thee my son.

That would be from the lamentation of David:

And the king was much moved, and went up to the chamber over the gate, and wept: and as he went, thus he said, O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! would God I had died for thee, O Absalom, my son, my son!

By the way, Ian, I'm always puzzled by your signature. Is the quote about ebay supposed to go with the epitaph in some way?

I wasn't aware that it was a quote. But it moved me so much (possibly partly because my son was just a couple of years younger) and I always visit that grave when I am over.

Greyhound - only in as much as the epitaph I think refers to a 1914 or 1915 star - that are now bought and sold on Ebay with better prices achieved for casualties.

Ah, I see what you're getting at. It reads rather as though it's the son's reply to his mother, though! Is that what you intended?

Ah, I see what you're getting at. It reads rather as though it's the son's reply to his mother, though! Is that what you intended?

Certainly not - this is supposed to be the delighted Ebay seller! But I suppose it might be misconstrued. I don't now see this so may have to alter it.

• 2 weeks later...

One I saw on my school trip to the battlefields in 2004:

2512 Private L. A. Sheffield, 17th Bn Australian Infantry, 26th July 1917.

ADIEU DEAR LAD

WHAT NEED OF TEARS

OR FEARS FOR YOU

He was 17.

One day when I have time, I'll read through the whole thread, but just thought I'd add the one that has stayed with me for nearly four years.

Carole

• 6 months later...

Might revive this one,

Both from Shrewsbury WW2 i'm affraid

peacefully sleeping free from pain,

we would not wish him to suffer again.

a voice we knew is silent for one we love is still

a place is vacant that we can never fill

Neil

Forgive the lack of detail as I'm writing this from memory......

On a grave at Hawthorn Ridge Cem No 1.

"Sleep well dear Dad, you did your best" - he was 23 - how young then the children left behind?

Breaks my heart every time.

Simon.