Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11335 Sgt Walter Cope 7Bn Leicestershire Regiment Bedworth war memorial

garfyboy

Morning all, does any body have photos of the names on the Bedworth war memorial? I am looking for a photo with the name "WALTER COPE"

Many thanks

Andy

This is the Bedworth all saints memorial

Hi Andy

Photograph of the memorial and the plaque with Walter Cope's name attached below.

There is a photograph of Sergeant Cope and a paragraph about him in Trevor Harkin's book 'Bedworth and the Great War':

Sergeant Walter Cope, 11335 7th Bn., Leicestershire Regiment was killed in action, less than a week later on the 26th October, 1915. He also enlisted in Nuneaton, but was born in Wilnecote, Warwickshire and resided in Warwick. Walter’s name is recorded in ‘Fallen Heroes’, and on the Bedworth War Memorial and he has a grave in Bienvillers Military Cemetery, France. The ‘Bedworth and Foleshill News’, 29th January, 1916 reported that Sergeant Cope of 133 Nuneaton Road, Collycroft was killed in action. “He enlisted on 2nd September, 1914 and prior to enlisting was employed at the sinking operation at the Warwickshire Coal Company, new colliery at Keresley. He was 35 years old and leaves a wife and five children. Prior to going to Keresley he worked at Griff Clara and at Newdigate Colliery. Mrs Cope has been the recipient of many kind letters, the Chaplain said “his death (by accident) should never have happened in such a way, but he was doing his duty and he will have the reward. His comrades stated he was using a catapult to throw grenades into the German trenches and it must have gone off before he was ready.”

Regards

Alan

597b118942db0_Cope01.JPG.477342934c04f2d08120abc1fa9d2a67.JPG

597b1196e456c_Cope02.JPG.69dcc9dcef53c5301642350dc18d3d44.JPG

597b11a9b16b3_Cope03.JPG.c377c29e02a41d7f523021b00254314e.JPG

Hi alan

thank you kindly, great photos that will go with my research, very much appreciated, I will also try and get a copy of said book

many thanks again

andy

And very interesting to hear how he was killed, I have just ordered the book.

Do you by any chance know if that newspaper article is available digitally?

thanks

andy

I think it will be unlikely that the newspaper has been digitised, but perhaps check FMP. Both Bedworth and Nuneaton libraries have microfiche records of local newspapers, but I would call them first to make sure they have it and book a time for the microfiche reader before visiting.

Regards

Alan

Just two news clips on Walter Cope in FMP newspaper archives.

IMG_5687.JPG.f84daf41bb726d1e89e02a7210da9ea4.JPG

IMG_5688.JPG.eb0ed6170122c560ca8d92901d2b5327.JPG

Thanks wanderer Paul, I've not gone down the route of signing up to the newspaper archive yet, I must do it as not to miss important info like this, very interesting 

much appreciated, thank you

Andy

Thanks for your reply Alan, as you may have seen, wanderpaul came up trumps

great work chaps 

• 1 year later...

I know its an old post but interesting to read this, as I am related to Walter on my Mothers side - I do have some documents from the time that this loss happened too.

Brian

• spof changed the title to 11335 Sgt Walter Cope 7Bn Leicestershire Regiment Bedworth war memorial
  • spof locked and unlocked this topic