Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

french chassepot ?

BIFFO

Is this a French chassepot or a cras,can anyone say when it was made by the numbers stamped on the hilt

Biffo

5979d6bdd6598_chas1.jpg.67753253688f945665b57be0c28d3e52.jpg

chas.jpg.73d79c5f74f4d2632fcd09ba9c883a54.jpg

Definitely a Chassepot as I own one. The Gras had a T profile straight blade with wooden grip.

As to the markings mine is dated on the flat part of the back of the blade in script.

Dave

There are lots of minor variations of Mlle 1866 Chassepot. Large quantities were captured by the Germans during the Franco-Prussian War and were latter converted to fit a wide variety of rifles, in particular 1871 and 71/84 Mausers. They were used as reserve grade weapons by garrison troops and guards during WW1. Large quantities were disposed of by the French during the late c.19, sold to China, Japan and many other countries, some without modifications and others modified to fit various other surplus rifles.

Cheers

RT

Mine has what appears to be its place of manufacture abbreviated and Juillet 1871 as date of manufacture, on the back of the blade. Unlike the blade, the scabbard and quillon are rather corroded, so the serial number is difficult to read. I bought it as a schoolboy in the 60s, for 7/6 or 10 shillings, I think.

Michael

Certainly a Chassepot-type bayonet, and so made to fit the Fusil modèle 1866 or clones thereof. Problem is that, as Chasemuesum points out, there are lots of variants... So, you will need to know the MRD of this one to be certain what it fits, and more detail on the maker's marks and any inspection marks! As I understand it from the Gras models and the Lebel and Berthier bayonets, French-made and issued bayonets - although I am not an expert on these - do have inspection marks and serial numbers on the quillon. The serial looks French - have a look at: http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/HTNL DOCUMNETS/1866_chassepot.htm 

You could show the stamp on the blade, just above the serial V28862, which will be a clue.

Also, look for a stamp on the finial (circular ending of hooked cross-guard).

Regards,

JMB

I would say that this one is for French service. Serial numbers starting with a U or V were for bayonets produced privately under the contract with Cahen-Lyon in 1868 and 1869. This range was alloted by the French. As the bayonets were produced by many companies it may not have the script on the back. The markings will be of interest though to see if a producer can be identified.

I keep a look-out for these U and V's as they are less common. Also a lot of bayonets were re-serialled in service to match a different rifle.

Cheers,

Tony

Thank you all,:thumbsup:

Julian now you had your chance ?,:P

JMB,there is a stamp mark,I will take another photo and post

Biffo

On 7/28/2017 at 00:46, BIFFO said:

...Julian now you had your chance ?,:P ...

"Yeah but, no but, yeah but..." :thumbsup:

• 8 months later...